"Independent" battery power in a car

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KN4YRM, Jul 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4YRM

KN4YRM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  2. KN4YRM

I have (indirect) lightning arrestors in the coax feed that in theory are sending static electricity or nearby lightning surges to ground. Humidity here in FL makes static much less an issue than nearby lightning em pulses.

3. N6PAS

N6PAS Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no voltage difference on the negative terminals if they are connected together.

4. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

135AH deep cycle , heavy , charged by a VSR under the Hood , LCD Voltmeter on dash to keep a eye on things and it starts flashing when at 11.8v .

It's all a bit nicer looking atm as the pics were 1st install try out a few months ago .

004.jpg 1.jpg

5. KN4YRM

Nice. Here's my monstrosity:

6. VK4GAP

VK4GAP Ham Member QRZ Page

@KN4YRM , lol did you fit a turbo to the engine so you can carry/tow that stuff around ;) , good effort .

7. KN4YRM

Lol, it looks like rats' nest but it is light and portable, everything ziptied to that peg board makes it easy to carry. Once I'm confident in the layout I'll address the cable management (or not, lol).

8. VK2YQA

VK2YQA Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a 300AH LiFePO4 "house battery" in the vehicle. It runs all the radio/computer gear separate to the "start battery" system. Charging is done via solar or from the engine/alternator. I have a purpose 50A BCDC that takes care of this. I have an AC charger but have never used it.

All power grounding is common. RF bonding/grounding is also in place. Where feasible it is star connected. (eg rig to chassis) The rooftop solar hardware and internal metal insulation also. Keeping (QRN) noise down was my major consideration.

You might consider the batteries as separate supplies but with a common -ve/earth. The RF ground paths should be as low impedance as you can make them.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

9. KN4YRM

Except for a little more rfi "in the shack", so far the solution is working well. I plan to add solar soon.

10. KC9OO

KC9OO Ham Member QRZ Page

text deleted