ad: Halibut-1

Increasing Space Weather - Active Sunspot Regions

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Dec 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Space Weather Comments from the SIDC (RWC Belgium):

There are currently five sunspot groups visible, as identified by Catania.

The most interesting group is Catania group 5 (NOAA 2473), which produced an M4.7 flare (peaking at 0:40 UT today) and two C-class flares during the past 24 hours. The M4.7 flare was associated with a dimming, a type II radio burst and an eastward CME. The CME had an apparent width of 70 degrees and an estimated projected speed of 530 km/s (as reported by CACTus).

[​IMG]

First analysis indicates that no influence on the Earth environment should be expected. Flaring at the M-level is expected to continue, in particular from the Catania group 5, with a slight chance for an X-class flare.

The solar wind speed is varying between 400 and 500 km/s. The interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) magnitude is below 10 nT, with a fluctuating Bz component. Quiet to unsettled conditions (K < 4) were noted by Dourbes and NOAA. These geomagnetic conditions are expected to continue.

TODAY'S ESTIMATED ISN : 063, BASED ON 14 STATIONS.

(Comments issued on 23 Dec 2015, 1230UT)

Want to understand more about this and related space weather as well as radio propagation? Get the course and learn all about space weather and the Sun-Earth connection: http://SunSpotWatch.com/swc

73 de NW7US

[​IMG]

2. W5NIO

W5NIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this mean 10m will open???

3. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

It was open today to Europe in the morning and the west coast in afternoon
    The problem is lack of activity (lol) everyone is use to it being dead
    Cycle 24 is nothing like cycle 23 but the forecasters are saying cycle 25 will be the worse of all
    previous cycles !!
    Enjoy what we can when we can
    Hope to catch you on the bands

W5NIO likes this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in Florida at 1918 UTC today I worked E50B in South Cook Islands via the OLIVIA 250/8 digital mode on 28.122.308 mHz and he was very Q5. Quite often the bands are open but no one knows because no one seems to listen or transmits a CQ.

I'm not sure if hamateurs just figure that the bands are closed and/or their are not many active hamateurs these days?!

5. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,,

I have to say , I think it is that there are not as many ACTIVE HAMS as years gone by
    We all remember the days when the bands had numerous QSO's
    They didnt have to be opened to attract conversation
    Good qso's were at one time everywhere even the local repeaters
    I believe the demographics of the hobby have changed
    As the Ham Community grows older the activity lessened
    No matter what I will be calling CQ routinely
    To much money in the hobby to let it sit idle
    "Keep Ham Radio Alive"
    N3WVB

6. KK6GUN

KK6GUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Its alive and well, it just seems that the current trend is towards chinese garbage vhf/uhf radios and mic shy hams. Its tough to get people out there to talk if they are only motivated to spend 35 dollars on a radio.

W4IOA likes this.
  7. N4STG

N4STG Ham Member QRZ Page

I entered this hobby due to a $35 radio. I now have thousands of dollars invested and a tower going up in the next few weeks. I think the hobby is stickier than you might think.

AG3Q and N3WVB like this.