Increasing CW speed for new op...request recommendations

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W7MDN, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was not aware there were military campaigns being waged on HF / CW...???

2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

In fact it's a real thing. There have been several very-active and prominent stations using non-sanctioned callsigns, not issued by any
    U.N./ITU-recognized governmental entity, on HF working DX in the name of a break-away regions from territory claimed by the Russian Federation
    and Ukraine.
    The geopolitical situation and its explanation is confusing and complex. But some operators claiming to be "Amateurs" are operating in
    the furtherance of political aims for a certain nation.
    As a factual matter, it should be noted that within the former USSR and today's Russia, Amateur operations effectively cannot happen without
    the aid or at least concurrence from DOSAAF, a governmental military auxiliary.

As I noted, it's all hard for us over here to sort out intelligently. But it is very real. Probably not something you or I would want to get mixed-up
    in. Amateur radio, by international norms, treaty and tradition, is supposed to be apolitical and in the aim of building international friendship.
    Even during the darkest hours of modern human history, hams have transcended the ugliness of war and trans-national hatred.

WZ7U likes this.
  3. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it's amateurs who are doing this, with presumably little intervention by their authorities. I picked a random IARU monthly to show you, but you can find entries for 7055 kHz LSB and 3731 kHz LSB in every newsletter for a few years now.
    And no, it's LSB all the time, with rare SSTV, digital SSTV, CW and RTTY, the latter being mostly straightforward propaganda messages, the voice transmissions changing from day to day.
    https://www.iaru-r1.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/IARUMS-Newsletter-20-09.pdf

The essence is that 7052 to 7055 kHz CW can be considered unusable for most hours of the day over here.

WA1GXC likes this.
  4. W7MDN

I had no idea, thanks for posting that.

5. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

In Europe, 40 metres often gets a bit crowded. Partly that's because the band only goes up to 7200 kHz and so the IARU Region 1 bandplan has the "All modes" section starting at 7050 kHz, with 7040 - 7050 kHz for "Narrow band modes – digimodes", so if you want CW un-disturbed (or at leat less-disturbed) by other modes you need to stay below 7040 kHz. Doesn't help when the OTHRs and fisherman-pirates get on the air, though...

If you're after practice QSOs over here, then somewhere between 3550 and 3570 kHz is probably your best bet, if the band's not swamped by noise or flattened by D-layer absorbtion...

6. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, 80m is a good option too, esp. where you mention QRS QSOs can often be heard. I admit I'm avoiding this band at this time for the exact reasons you've stated.

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

All the replies about 7055 not being a good place to hear slow-speed QSOs in Europe may be spot on, but OP is not in Europe, he is in North America; and in NA, 7055 +/- 5 kHz is unquestionably the place one will hear the most QRS QSOs.

Let us not confuse OP.

8. W7MDN

Not confused, I'm tracking. I actually got 10 QSOs on one summit and another six on the second yesterday. Only had to request QRS a couple of times.

Been using Morse Ninja 20 wpm audio files while driving to/from work and it's helping. I do have 80m on the MTR4B and a linked dipole which will work also. As yet I have never had a QSO on 80m. Planning to change that this weekend.

9. K6ZGN

K6ZGN Ham Member QRZ Page

download JUST LEARN MORES CODE it reads text files as well as any characters you choose. I've been using it for about a year now, off and on, and it took me from about 7 WPM to 18 WPM and I am still learning. I now set it to 25 WPM and just listen and sometimes 30 WPM it kind of just gets in your brain. you need to also google web sdr to find one that is close to you but that is not real important but find one that gives high frequency CW options so you can copy real on going ham CW

10. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The more you operate, the more the speed will come. I can now ragchew at 20-22wpm and do contest-type exchanges at 25-28. I still listen to WebSDR as well as apps on my phone to increase my speed, but there is still nothing that compares to on-air experience.

KD2RDG, OE3IAK and WN1MB like this.