INCENTIVE NEEDED TO INCREASE DX LOGBOOK USAGE

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by W5HWU, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5HWU

W5HWU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Forgive me for complaining, but I'm disappointed in the poor logbook usage of our DX contacts. I have 230 countries logged on QRZ.com, but only 98 countries confirmed. During this same period of five years, I have accumulated four DXCC awards using LOTW.

Many of my non-confirmed contacts on QRZ are located in Third World Countries. Perhaps it is time to offer an incentive to increase logbook usage. It is my understanding that logbook usage is free to members and non-members alike.

I realize that many DX operators do not have access to the Internet. Many of them cannot afford a computer nor the monthly connection fee. For these guys, we have to take our chances with "snail-mail."

Many of the DX operators who have not responded clearly use QRZ's logbook (their call sign is highlighted in blue). My logging data is correct. Am I the only one having this problem? Feedback, please.

Thanks for listening,
    Cecil Chaudoir
    W5HWU

2. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you're not the only one with this problem - domestically or with DX. I've been experimenting with uploading FT8 contacts to QRZ's logbook feature, and have found that many valid, rare, hard won contacts go unconfirmed. What's more, QRZ is sort of a "Roach Motel" for logbook entries: You can check your data in for free, but there's a charge to extract it again - even for your own use! - or to send it to LOTW (the only other site with which it seems to communicate). So, if you don't want to let down fellow hams who are trying to win awards, you have to do multiple uploads to multiple logging sites. This saps enjoyment from the hobby; you become more of a computer technician and bookkeeper than a communicator!

IMHO, QRZ needs to link more closely with, and coordinate awards with, other logging facilities. And it shouldn't charge a substantial fee for members to download their own data! Yes, I know the site costs money to run, but this isn't the place to profiteer.

73 de Brett Glass WY7BG

3. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would guess that a solid majority of QSLs I have on QRZ were downloaded from LOTW. This makes basic sense to me as LOTW is the more recognized option.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ is primarily an USA and English speaking web destination. The ARRL's efforts (LotW) are a little better known because the ARRL is a little better known.

KP4SX likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

my latest stats
    LoTW 15481 / 23582 = 65%
    QRZ 13535 / 24996 = 54%

Pretty close all things considered

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that's basically it. ARRL and DXCC are universal worldwide. The standard, so to speak. Some hambuddy dot com outfit that offers a DXCC certificate just isn't in the same league.

7. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You have satisfied the requirements for Awards that are awaiting your acknowledgement to issue them. Open your logbook and click on AWARDS then follow instructions.
    Also, you haven't utilized the Download from LoTW feature for a while. Suggest you do.