Incentive Licensing Retrospective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K3UD, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Charles, maybe I miss read your intent.

What I don't understand, is why this hobby is compared to the internet and chat rooms?

If the only reason someone would be interested, is to talk on the radio, then the hobby is in trouble.

I got involved for electronics, building antennas, and trying new things. Talking on the radio, for me, is testing to see if some of my wacky projects work.

Again, I agree that there are a lot of inactive techs. But that is no suprise, if the reason they got into this, is because someone dazzled them with an HT and repeater system. Some folks don't care about the technical part, but this is a technical hobby.

If you aren't interested in RF and electronics, it will get boring real fast. Ham radio isn't for everyone, yet we always market ham radio like it was laundry soap.

To me, it is about how it works, and making it work.

Making it easier to get a ham license does increase the number of licenses, and does get some new folks really involved.

But in the end, there are lots of folks that have no interest in RF and electronics, and become inactive, when they get bored talking on the repeater. We got them involved by using the "toy" carrot.

I really don't see a decline in people that are really interested. What we have done and continue to do, is try to get people into the hobby by showing the "cool" stuff, and not introducing them to the technical stuff and learning aspect that lasts a lifetime, and makes it interesting.

Charles, have a great holiday season.

Bob - W6NJ

2. WA4RYW

WA4RYW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

“Almost all of the new blood comes from the 11-meter pool. In fact, I haven’t met a new ham in the last 15 years that didn’t spend time either as a freebander, truck driver, or both. There’s your new novice class."

I said it, and I stand by it.

Having said that, I DID NOT state that no-code was bad, that techs were bad, or that the new version of ham radio was bad (a little sad, yes). Just like all freebanders run 50 kilowatts and sneak into the 10-meter space, not so. My point was centered on the dying/dead institution that ham radio once was, and what a shame it is that people that have joined ham radio in the last 20 years will never experience it. I also suggested that the new novice class was indeed Citizens Band, and for a great many of those newcomers, it is. Not bad, not good, just the way it is. I never degraded anyone for who they were, what class they held, or where they came from. I NEVER said CBers were bad, but I am suggesting that we no longer see newcomers that are electrical engineers, scientists, or PhDs (we used to have a LOT of those).

I came from the Class D service originally, albeit before the 1973 Christmas boom, when it was QUITE a different service. The ’73 disaster was, in fact, my incentive to become a ham.

And by the way, GMRS is class C Citizens Band, unless its been restructured recently. The familiar 11-meter service is Class D.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Ham Member QRZ Page

And by the way, GMRS is class C Citizens Band, unless its been restructured recently. The familiar 11-meter service is Class D.

I think it was class "B"

4. WA4GCH

I had remote control cars on class c ( 27 mhz )

5. WA4RYW

WA4RYW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's right. Class C was remote control.

6. K0KAD

K0KAD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received my ticket for Technician only a little over a week ago! I love the concept of Amateur Radio. I was an 11meter freak! I loved to take a radio and give it more channels, more power and make my own antenna's. I was engulfed in the art of the radio! I want to do the same and use better testing equipment and I want to have just as clear a station as I did back then. Only I want to do it legally and I want to be able to turn the radio on and allow my daughter to listen to it and not have to worry that she will hear about what someone did to their wife the night before and how hard they did it. I want to get my upgrade in the next couple of months. Even if they still have the code that is fine with me! I want to be a real Ham and learn Code and talk in Code. I would even like to build my own equipment. I am truely interested in the art of Amateur Radio. I hope that we Ham's are here to stay. I have some design ideas for emergency communications that could be hugely helpfull in times of disaster like the recent hurricans and mass destruction I want to share my thoughts and ideas, even my pocket book as small as that may be right now!

Thanks for listening,
    Chad Taylor - KI4MVE

7. WA4GCH

[​IMG] welcome aboard [​IMG] and feel free to ask questions !

Bruce

on 6 since 66 !

8. K3UD

K3UD Guest

As I have posted many times I was one of those who did quit the ARRL over this and later thought it to be a bit petty on my part.

However, In my case I was not one of the Generals who got the automatic upgrade to full amateur privileges. I felt that I had earned those privileges when I took the the test in 1966 well before any decision on IL was handed down. I took the test required for those privileges only to see them taken away later.
    This was kind of like taking away a college degree that you had earned (or an HS diploma) because the institution which granted it changed the curriculum and wanted you to re-qualify for it.

I have always thought that it should have been the newcomer to the ARS who would have to deal with IL after 1968. Those who either had the privileges via the 1953 upgrade or by taking the test after the upgrade should have retained them.

The largest thing that still bothers me about how IL was handled
    is that the ARRL is on record as saying that the 50s was the best decade ever for amateur radio. As they have aptly pointed out, the 50s were the era of tremendous amateur advances in every area of ham radio, with the hams themselves leading the way. Everything was just great and this greatness would no doubt continue into the 60s.

I never really understood how all of that greatness and accomplishment by hams could have unraveled so fast as to nessecitate something like IL.

George
    K3UD

9. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Chad,

You certainly have the right attitude and when you follow through I have little doubt that you could be a good contributer to ham radio as a whole. Get the General and Extra as soon as you can. Hope to hear you on the bands.

George
    K3UD

10. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could it have simply been that, as with most bureaucracies, someone (or some organization) wanted to make a name for themselves by "fixing something that wasn't broken"?

Keith
    KB1SF / KB1SF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.