ad: HamHats-1

In Devastated Dominica, 'Hams' Become Vital Communications Link

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

A report from NPR,

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ominica-hams-become-vital-communications-link

"When Hurricane Maria smashed into the tiny island of Dominica in the Eastern Caribbean earlier this week, phone service went down, virtually cutting off the island. But within hours, amateur radio operators got on the air and have been providing a vital link to the outside world ever since. ... One of the two cellphone providers on the island has reportedly managed to restore service in some areas, but customers are being asked to use text only to keep from overwhelming the still-fragile network. For the moment, anyway, Dominica's ham radio is more reliable."

Elsewhere I noted that Brian WB6RQN, the ham / aviator who recently circumnavigated the globe (Project Amelia Earhart) has been busy putting that same aircraft to use with hurricane relief, first in TX with Harvey, and now planning to make runs down to J7. See more on the FB page and/or the funding web site he has established.

https://www.facebook.com/AmeliaEarhart80/

https://fundly.com/dominica-airlift-angels-to-eden?ft_pid=dhozbazh

I imagine the situation in KP2 / KP4 is not much better, except for the greater resources of the US government, and am curious as to what the amateur radio response and role has been.

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    KW4BY and AK5B like this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I see now that the ARRL posted their own news item which featured links to the NPR article and other info too, and gives more details about the Caribbean Emergency Weather Network operations.

http://www.arrl.org/news/caribbean-...rk-handling-high-volume-of-post-storm-traffic

The most troubling report though is, "On September 21, the net experienced what (AI6YR) described as deliberate interference."

Glad it's NOT the CQWW SSB contest weekend.

John - WØPV

KZ3J and K4NB like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

WP3R , Angel, is one of the key ops, in NW PR. He is having generator problems. Because of the DQRM, I will NOT divulge his freq or schedule, other than to say that if and when he is able to operate more, he is expecting to get more H&W traffic out.

Right now the main issue in NW PR is getting gasoline and generators.

There are some substantial ham efforts afoot to send equipment and operators. IF that does not become public in a couple of days, I will post the info here.

We should expect the volunteer effort into PR--BY hams-- will be potentially unprecedented.

Prayers also for the good people of Dominica.

N8IOK, K7YB, KO6WB and 1 other person like this.
  4. K4RDE

K4RDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could someone send me the frequency they would be using in the KP4 Puerto Rico & US Virgin IS.
    We at the Louisville, KY Red Cross have some Volunteers at both sites. Just please email me the
    information at; ray.tillman@redcross.org
    thanks.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, am sending.

6. K4RDE

K4RDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks.

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

When he's not heroically flying solo around the world or relief supplies to victims of natural disasters, WB6RQN is keeping up with eQSL'ing! Received mine for a aeronautical mobile QSO during Project Amelia Earhart yesterday,

[​IMG]

Thanks Brian and 73 de John - WØPV

PS - If you missed it on the FaceBook link, this is a awesome video by him too,

KA2PTE likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm IN, and staged, if they want me.

John, WØPV
    -----------

Mon 9/25/2017 6:23 PM

Thank you. Your form for consideration as an American Red Cross
    volunteer for deployment in Puerto Rico has been submitted to ARRL.

Please DO NOT expect a response unless you are advanced for additional
    consideration for deployment.

Mike Corey, KI1U
    ARRL Emergency Preparedness Manager

9. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Been through it before. In a diaster of this magnitude it will take a few days for the volunteers to even begin to sort through the other volunteers, and to get them cleared and registered. Without any local infrastructure remaining it makes the problem even a lot more difficult.

Ken
    K8KJG

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 22:40, National Association for Amateur Radio
    <ki1u@arrl.org> wrote:

Thank you. Your form for consideration as an American Red Cross
    volunteer for deployment in Puerto Rico has been submitted to ARRL.
    Please DO NOT expect a response unless you are advanced for additional
    consideration for deployment.
    Mike Corey, KI1U
    ARRL Emergency Preparedness Manager

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

11. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K9ASE, W5BIB, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Angels' generator is dead. I have a new gen right here waiting to be sent--trying to get a slot of stuff on one of the C130's.

An additional effort coordinating with the Arecibo Observatory(personnel) is happening. A little nudge got Arecibo designated as a FEMA emergency center. Science is not the order of the day.

Humanitarian efforts are primary.

K9ASE and WA4AMG like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

14. WA4AMG

WA4AMG Subscriber QRZ Page

W1YW, well done. Hope it makes a flight soon.
    More info on nets at cewn.org
    And a shout out to Kumar, J85K, Saint Vincent who, among others, has been doing a great job on both the friendly net and cewn net.

15. WA4AMG

WA4AMG Subscriber QRZ Page

Website cewn.org
    Oops, dup