"In accordance with good amateur practice"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7FQ, Apr 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Orly to some, who have no respect for rules, regulations, or the whole idea of "simplex."

K4AGO likes this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think the crossband repeater users were clearly in the ethical, if not legal wrong. CERTAINLY, for a scheduled event, a simplex OTHER than the National calling frequency could have been chosen for the 440 MHz band. To have used a down link on the National Calling frequency was RUDE, inconsiderate, and against "Good Amateur Practices. The 440MHz band has PLENTY of simplex frequencies besides the National Calling frequency. Apparently, the members involved were just too LAZY (or stupid) to reprogram their radios for a different frequency.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 12:30 AM
    K4AGO and KQ0J like this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give a call now and then on 446.000 and you might be surprised how many people have that in their scan list. Make sure you identify what frequency you are on. Anyone that sets up
    a repeater on 446.000 or 146.52 fits the description of LID perfectly. Ignorant of normal operating practice in the best case and a jerk because they know better and don't care in the worst
    case. Pick an unused frequency, its really easy. I actually heard a ham talking on a repeater the other day that was proposing a network of linked simplex repeaters on 446.000. What
    a dope.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what the Wouff Hong was invented for. The Rettysnitch was for if he didn't get it the first time.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have asked him to send you pictures of the duplexer cans he was planning to use to separate the RX and TX. :)

N1SZ likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course it's illegal if it violates Part 97 allocations for repeaters (if you use simplex frequencies that do not fall within those designated repeater subbands.) The OP never came back to say what "unused simplex frequencies" they were using; however, if they were using common 2m simplex frequencies between 145.500 and 146.000. those are not in the authorized repeater frequency allocations and that would be unlawful.

But then, we don't know what frequencies they were using. So, it might have been illegal or it might not have been.

Many temporary crossband repeaters are set up in an unlawful manner, technically, because repeaters (even if crossband or temporary) must have a control operator and method for shutting it down if he needs to. That can be done remotely, as long as there is "control." If the control op is not colocated with the rig doing the repeating and has no remote access to control that rig (using DTMF tones or some other method), it would be technically unlawful.

However, having written all that, in most cases this stuff doesn't matter unless and until you interfere with someone else, like a prior user of the same frequency.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought you were just making that up to mess with @W3WN until I looked it up... sure enough, there are repeater sub-bands on ham bands between 10m and 70cm. 47 CFR 97.205(b). Technically, the sub-bands listed are "no repeater" sub-bands, but the difference is simply one of polarity. ;)

It's amazing what I learn hanging out here. :cool:

8. WB2WIK

I probably wouldn't have known either if I hadn't owned five repeaters over the years.

9. AF7FQ

AF7FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was personally using 146.540 for our crossbander. I don't remember now if we were using this as the uplink or the downlink frequency and I don't remember now which 70cm frequency we were using to crossband. My crossbander was legal as far as I know, IDing every ten minutes, and I was in direct physical control of the radio while it was in operation. I'm enjoying the conversation in this thread by the way, so thank you.

10. WB2WIK

Well...146.540 is not a standard simplex frequency.

Those are 146.49, 146.52, 146.55, 146.58, etc. In congested areas like here (L.A.) we also use 146.535, 146.565 and a few others.

I'm "guessing" that on 146.540 you were probably interfering with traffic on 146.550, which is a standard simplex frequency; or of course, they were interfering with you! Depends who was there first.