ad: HamHats-1

Improving your Handy Talkie

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You’ve clicked something incorrectly. It’s listenable directly on the website in the OP, available on many podcast streams, and on YouTube: . None of these require anything but a functional internet connected device. There are never any charges or special drivers or software to listen to the ICQ Podcast. Have a nice day...

2. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Handheld transceiver
    Portable radio
    Walkie-Talkie
    Handy-Talkie
    PTT Radio
    are all terms commercial radio manufactures use through the years, some trademarked. I would say battery radio but at one time all radios ran on batteries.
    Now in 1960 Dad had a portable Motorola radio. Had tubes, two 60 volt batters for B+ and a lot of D cells. Telephone handset had a PTT button, Dreake TR-22 was featherweight in comparsion. Next was a handy-talkie from Motorola. This was around 1962. Still the size of a brick. They cost thousands of dollars. When Dad retired in 1983 he provided his own radio that covered police and commercial auto patch channels I maintained.
    When I got my Tech I got Dad to take me to Long's Electronics. I bought two Icom IC2AT's. About the size of a dollar bill. I gave Dad one and and kept one. I figured I owed him.
    I found the best way to improve my HT was to go up on the 18th floor and talk from there.

Now why did Hams flock to VHF FM starting in the 50's? FCC outlawed wideband FM deviation. Suddenly lots of commercial radios were surplus. 6 meter AM might have been king but soon lots of guys were playing with 2 meter simplex. Then the FCC relaxed the rules on repeaters for Hams!

John

3. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I improved my handie scratchies years ago: they are still in the drawer and they're happy there...

5. KG7IRJ

KG7IRJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a J-Pole @ 10 feet.
    Paul KG7IRJ Ohio

6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do about half my SOTA activations on a 2m FM HT. A J-pole at 10' or higher on top of a summit absolutely booms across the land, so to speak. I've made contacts out as far as 65 miles on 5 watts that way. The only caveat is that if your HT has a poor front end and you're in an RF-rich environment, you could actually hear *less* than with the rubber ducky antenna. But, a good radio or quiet conditions will work great.

Chris

KG7IRJ likes this.
  7. N5HZI

N5HZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first was a Kenwood TR-2500. Made a home made 2 meter antenna with an so-239 and some wire. Primitive, but it worked.

Mark

WB9VPG and KG7IRJ like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Longest contact I have made with an HT was with my first radio, Icom T90A. The range was about 150 miles on simplex using the stock rubber duck. The caveat is that I was standing 60ft above the water on the flight deck of the USS ENTERPRISE (CVN-65) in front of the control tower, which made a pretty good reflector. It was certainly an improvement. For the internet police... Yes, I had permission from the CO to use my radio and was within the conditions he gave me.

KG7IRJ, N0TZU, KV4BL and 1 other person like this.
  9. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Still got my FT-470 here too, Scott ... I've re-packed a couple of original Yaesu battery packs ... but have used the alkaline-cell pack with NiMH for a while now ... still chugs along!! :)

10. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Guest

The baofengs are fine. I've had mine for going on six years now. Still works perfectly.

KG7IRJ and KC7SQC like this.
  11. KG7IRJ

KG7IRJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is how I started my 2 meter. A J-POLE on the roof added 20 miles to my range.

N5HZI likes this.
  12. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a 15W relay on a mountain 90km (56mi) to where I live. From the top of a building, it can hear my cheap Chinese handheld with its rubber antenna in VHF (easy) and UHF (not so well, but it works). From inside a building, lower stairs with higher buildings around, the handheld can receive the relay in VHF transmitting with 15W and 7.5W (the relay runs tests regularly).

13. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, throw out the $5 one you bought on fleabay. Yeah, pet peave for me too. Muffled, garbled, or sounds like they're talking into a tomato can.
    Spend the bucks to get the real mic.

14. DG8AE

DG8AE Ham Member QRZ Page

My First was a Kenwood Tr 2300 with original Telescopic-Antenna. Currently I'm using a Wouxun KG UV8plus.
    I want to get back my TR:(

15. KI7MTI

KI7MTI Ham Member QRZ Page

A speaker mic is essential to use of an HT, in my opinion.