ad: vanity

Improvement for btech battery eliminator

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by IU3LYC, Sep 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. IU3LYC

IU3LYC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,
    I've buy a battery eliminator from btech, that i use on gt-3, through an old battery case, but less than 10 minutes, it becomes hot, and the modulation becomes very bad.
    [​IMG]
    So i've try to take out the little inductor out of module, and there's little improvement, btw when i listen repeter on 145.650 mhz i can hear little noise.
    Could i need to shield the white and red whire, for cut noise on 2 meters?
    Someone have some trick for this battery eliminator?

2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The LM2576 is a switching regulator, good for 3 amps. If you are drawing more current than that, it's going to be ugly. Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like it has minimal noise suppression circuitry.

I'm surprised it works at all if you pulled parts out of it.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What "little inductor" did you remove ? It is most likely used for filtering.

The only mod that may help, It to change the resistor that sets the voltage, To match the voltage that the radio requires.

The voltage may be set to high. You would have to measure it to see.

Good Luck.

4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the one I bought was a counterfeit. It looked like an LM317 but unmarked parts so who knows.

Either way it didn't make enough current for xmit.

I gutted it and used the contacts & shell. I found an LM2596 based regulator on Amazon. Sold in a 6-pack for $10. I dialed it to 8.4V and it has kept my 2-meter on the air for weeks now. Almost no noise, and a ferrite bead fixed what little there was.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. IU3LYC

IU3LYC Ham Member QRZ Page

@KA9JLM i remove the inductor at the the right to lm2576, so yep is for filtering. I've just set voltage to 8,3 volt but i don't know if i can set 9 v . I've upload two datasheet if it can help ;)

Attached Files: