ad: MyersEng-1

Important innovation and Amateur Radio: INVENTION OF THE FRACTAL ANTENNA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Aug 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to admit, I'm fascinated. I don't know too much about the mathematics of antennas-my focus has always been radio circuitry-but having taken down my Hustler 4BTV this morning in preparation for a QTH move only to find about a third of it has disappeared in one of the wind storms we had earlier this year, I have to admit I'm interested in building a fractal that can work on 20 and 40 meters. I don't own an amp so 100w tx capability is fine. I can be contacted via my QRZ page, but be aware that that address is generally used as a "spam catcher" so a response may take a week or two.

KF4ZKU and M1WML like this.
  2. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Both points.

M1WML likes this.
  3. NT5A

NT5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I was dreaming about 160 ... :)

PY2NEA and M1WML like this.
  4. K4DXG

K4DXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yawn……

PY2NEA and M1WML like this.
  5. N0BGS

N0BGS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10 minute mail <dot> com. Problem solved.

M1WML and PY2NEA like this.
  6. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. NC9P

NC9P Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it it, just proves that thinking out of the box works.

73 de NC9P

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  8. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too many words for you and not enough poo-foo-rah, OM?

M1WML likes this.
  9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff Chip. I know these are used on commercial aircraft. I just can't remember their purpose.

Help me out sir & 73!

Greg

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

On the 787, and air to ground on most commercial fleet aircraft. Won't be more specific than that other than the obvious FAA certs in force.

I am sure (others, not you:)) who are competitors would love to trace the contact people to try to poach sales. The usual pitch (I have been told) is that fractals are a 'loading mechanism that only adds loss'. In fact, we already heard that nonsense here on this thread:)

And when they say that, they lose all cred with the potential customers, who know me and the tech well, and how I have always gone out of the way for them;-)

That is why many (haters) have been caught off guard by Colburn's article, because they have this cozy fantasy that the inventor and invention are fully marginalized, and presume I am some crotchety old guy(on his last legs) dominated by isolation and ailments and bad karma. And the tech was a flavor of the month from 20 years ago.

Actually, today I am out for a hike on the Appalachian Trail in Franconia, and then prepping for my (invited talk) Electronic Design Innovation Conference zoom on Fractal superscatterers on Wednesday. Next week I might do SOTA with my IC-705.

Marginalized..not.

Heheh!

Nah.
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's funny! Exactly what I like to say about the G5RV. (duck)

12. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aside from academics, there are few applications even in the military world where I have worked these past 49 years for these antennae.

Fractals ... like the buzz word Cloud attracts technologists, but not practical engineers.

M1WML likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no doubt that you have little if any knowledge about the use of fractal antennas in the 'military world'...and practical engineers understand that 'what problem am I trying to solve' does not allow one to invoke personal opinions in searching the solution space.

Dozens of times I have seen retired military folks take money to do 'bakeoff's', picking wrong solutions to tough problems. I imagine it liberates them from the onus of providing a specification for the antenna need. LOL! If they had asked, they could have had exactly what they needed.

I suspect the younger generations are slightly more aware of various electromagnetic options. Using the 'Cloud' and what not.

Perhaps you can educate them on Zepp antennas? Fishbones?

I am a retired Crow and haven't done military antennas in 10 years. For the 10 years I did, they were used in arenas I doubt you had a 'need to know' about. But-- I know for a fact that I had, and have, impact in saving people and things. Go fish:)

Even a cursory and public internet search reveals. nowadays, how other countries use fractal antennnas and their ilk in the 'military world'. I think that says a lot.

Nice to hear from you.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Now: this is interesting.

Joe's biography lists a number of various affiliates, including military contractors. Just for fun, Joe, I took a shot on the PO archive and dug out a rather large PO from the first contractor I picked at random from your list. The antennas were purchased for a high placed office in the 'military world'. I presume the user scenario was classified at a level higher than mine. I was just supplying the widget.

Of course, that was but one of many, many 'applications' in the military world. But given that this was a company you worked at Joe, one wonders why you didn't know about it?

Hmmm?:)

Another interesting point--that same military contractor purchased a different set of antennas from us as recently as June. So, my friend Joe, we are not talking just an 'hysterical' context:) Haw!

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice explanation of what has been an esoteric subject to many :cool:
    Congrats to Chip !
    G3SEA/KH6