ad: elecraft

Impact of CME estimated for Feb 14. 1200 UTC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Feb 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

But the cycle is heading to solar min and that usually means no sun spots or CMEs...

Solar wind escaping from coronal holes seems also to be very effective for propagation! This is what is more prevalent during sol min.

Alex - VE7DXW

2. AC2NT

AC2NT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Alex,

The day I predict the right lottery numbers, and win, I should be able to predict the next CME.

In other words, sun is an unpredictable beast. You never know when she's gonna puff another CME.

Chris - AC2NT.

VE7DXW likes this.
  3. VE7DXW

Hi Chris;

There are only 3 satellites that cover the whole solar plane (Earth, Stereo 1 and Stereo 2). That means the resolution is not very good. Another issue is the fact that this satellites are in the same ecliptic as the planets and therefore do not have a "birds eye" view of the particles racing out to hit us.
    The cost of placing the satellites out in space and running them is also very high, so we will be happy to have at least those... and the data is shared with all Internet users thanks to NOAA.
    We can all hope that there will be more in the future as we learn more and understand how important space weather is to the well being of this planet.

All the best and 73;

Alex - VE7DXW

AC2NT likes this.
  4. AC2NT

AC2NT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, Alex. Now I understand.

Chris - AC2NT.

5. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

6 Meters was DEAD.I guess nobody told the 6 Meter Gods that it was suppose to be open because it slept right thru it.Just another guess.Maybe you should get a job as a weather guy since they are wrong most of the time as well.

Clayton
    W4KVW
    EM80

VE7DXW likes this.
  6. VE7DXW

Hi Clayton;

There are only 3 satellites that cover the whole solar plane (Earth, Stereo 1 and Stereo 2). That means the resolution is not very good. Another issue is the fact that this satellites are in the same ecliptic as the planets and therefore do not have a "birds eye" view of the particles racing out to hit us.
    The cost of placing the satellites out in space and running them is also very high, so we will be happy to have at least those... and the data is shared with all Internet users thanks to NOAA.
    We can all hope that there will be more in the future as we learn more and understand how important space weather is to the well being of this planet.

All the best and 73;

Alex - VE7DXW