ad: portazero-1

Imbalance in activities on the CW bands

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Mar 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Right....how many different ways are there to fry an egg ?

2. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just go to the very top end of the band (SSB-CW band), no one much yet is doing it, but that is the solution... don't know why we've not made use of it or thought of it before. It's empty up there. Ideal for rag chew. 14349 downwards, etc.

3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning I think I heard the Indonesians myself. I was a regular listener to RRI (for the music) back when they still broadcast on 31m, so I know what the Indonesian language sounds like - Austronesian with a lot of Arabic loan words. They were running SSB and talking like hams, but were suspiciously LOUD here in Central Texas.

4. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

While we're on this theme, what the HECK is commercial or marine CW station HLF (S. Korea I assume) doing on 14041? I've been hearing it regularly in the evening over here.

Steve in Okinawa

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard Israeli Military callsign 4XZ passing CW traffic on 40 meter band about a week ago.

6. N3HQN

N3HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost couldn't disagree more. Yes there are a slew of contests. I even work some now n then. But In the past 28 years of being a Amateur operator I have never seen more folks using CW and having nice long QSOs on the HF bands. I never have trouble finding somebody to pound brass with. Oh, sure some are the 599/QTH deal Qs. But, it's not unusual to go the 1/2 hour 45 minute convo and get to know the other op and what they are into as far as radio and other hobbies. There is plenty of room for everybody to do whatever it is that they want to do on the bands at any given time of day.

KO4LZ likes this.
  7. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

4XZ is back on 40m? What frequency? And HLF well that's something! Maybe they programmed frequency wrong, or it is a mix?
    N3HQN, it's a fact. You may not noticed if you been active all this time. I was VERY active 20-30 years ago, and now again after 20 years QRT, very active. It's 100% a huge decline in non-contest non-DXpedo activity, and a huge rise in 5NN-contest-pedo activity.
    Slow changes are often not noticed. But I'm in great position to see the changes radically. No one said you can't get hours long rag chew, it's the numbers and imbalance that is drastic. Yes in North America and Europe you still have larger numbers, so it'd be harder for you to notice as thc changes have been gradual I guess, but it's very, very different from 20+ years ago.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently so... I'll need to go back and check my notes to see if I wrote down the freq... As I recall it was somewhere around 7180 or so... I copied them passing traffic for about an hour and when finished started sending the typical 'beacon' ID " VVV de 4XZ AR " until I tuned out about a half hour later.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I copied them at 7.232 MhZ on 30 May 2016 about a half hour before and after 2130Z. I'm sure they were on longer than that.

It was discussed on a forum I attend and I believe a VK station heard them also and commented "VERY STRONG". They were about S5 or so in NJ. Heard also by a few other East coast stations.

Google search shows that they've been active there:
    Heard in France:
    4XZ: Israeli Navy Haifa 0507z CW VVV DE 4XZ 4XZ (Bcast) //11180 //7232 (26 mai 16)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  10. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very easy! Make it like Canada! No mode segregation, just follow the band plans... But the ARRL is against that too.

de NK2U

N0NB likes this.