Imbalance in activities on the CW bands

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Mar 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not at all!! When it came to sports I was one of those that got picked last at recess. It is good I had a brain (and some may question that) cause I could not get a sports scholarship!!
    John , WB0MPB

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BUT, But, but... what about "RADIO SPORT" ??:eek: oops !! BERT will make an appearance momentarily :p:rolleyes:

3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget per Bert radio is not a sport or hobby. it is a service. Bert serves every day. He serves us with his videos.
    John, WB0MPB

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the only thing close nowadays are the robotics competitions

for contest minded individuals, radio is a sport

for preppers, radio is a life line

for emergency personel, radio is a service

for the rest of us, radio is a hobby .... .. .... ..

NK2U, WB0MPB and W5BIB like this.
  5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bottom line is - people do what they like to do. It has nothing to do with frequency allocations, incentive licensing or
    what someone else chooses to do.

The truth is that not many people like to ragchew on CW. If they did, it would still be happening a lot.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I passed mine at age 14 too - 1977. :) Novice and General the same year, General and Advanced at FCC exam point. Extra years later in college. I always operated mostly CW but the narrow 25 khz segments didn't seem worth it, until some friends were all taking exams and I said what the heck, might as well, and passed. By then it was under the VE program. And no buying books with the exact questions during the FCC period.

The Advanced WAS harder than the Extra in the sense of being more technical. The Extra was just more specialized. But you are absolutely right, we had to pass both, covering different material.

Reading these threads as I prepare to get back on the air for the first time since the mid 90s it sounds like lots has changed and not, from the sound of it, in ways I'm going to like. :(

I like to ragchew, and I prefer CW. It's going to take me a while to get back to my old speeds but I will. I love the idea of QTT, hate the fact it sounds like it's necessary these days.

I work nights though and am almost always up in the middle of the night on my days off as well so you folks in VK land may hear me before too long. (Going to be a bit, jumping back into multiple old hobbies after some serious personal challenges for the last few years. I'm aiming to be back on HF by the end of the northern hemisphere summer, latest.)

VK5EEE likes this.
  7. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

In terms of Activity on CW, there is no band where this comment is more true than 160m these days. But also, 160m is the one band where, because you're doing it "the hard way", most DX HAS to be worked on CW, rather than SSB.

It used to be that you could come on ANY evening and work lots of stations.

But especially when it came to DX, you could come on early any morning, even more so at the weekend, and work lots of DX stations. Let's face it, working ANY station on 160m over 2000 miles away is DX, and should be considered an achievement.

Even though I've been doing it for 45 years, I still get a buzz out of working stations "across the pond" on 160m . . . even East Coast, but especially into the Mid-West or even West Coast. But often there is ZERO activity from the US or Canada! Yet I can tell the band is open, as I can see myself being received by US stations by using the Reverse Beacon Network website.

And yet . . . as soon as there's a contest on, there are HUNDREDS of stations on! I never enter any contests these days, but I come on to work some DX stations who you never hear 99% of the time.

And the same is true if there's some rare prefix on . . . hundreds of stations suddenly appear on 160m and then disappear again.

So if it wasn't for those times you might think that the problem is that there are very few stations with a decent setup for 160m these days . . . but that clearly isn't the case!

Personally, I get the same buzz out of working a station 4000+ miles away whether he's on some little island or on the mainland nearby . . . unlike any other band, on 160m it's the distance that's the achievement.

So it would be great if there was a bit more DX activity on 160m at "normal" times, to work "normal" stations !!

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    VK5EEE likes this.
  8. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

One contributor here had his "FISTS" membership in his signature, but I think it's worth emphasizing it here, so please have a look at the great CW activities and join up: https://fists.co.uk/

Lou VK3EEE got me hooked up a few months ago but I forgot I had joined until OK1KW answered my CQ recently and reminded me of my member number (even though I'm registered under my AI6 call, not the JS6 I was using!) Anyway, we proceeded to have a great ragchew and I'll be looking out for others with the same intention of good CW ragchewing.

Steve

9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been trying to get on and ragchew more lately, after years of mostly working DX. As time goes by, and DX CW continues to become more and more the exclusive province of big guns, automation, and pile ups, I could see more conversational CW coming back a little, but I don't think it will ever be like it was back when all those thousands and thousands of World War Two vets with insomnia were chatting away most nights.

N5WVR and VK5EEE like this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Roger, from one Roger to another, I am definitely awake most nights well into your early morning (often enough into your late mornings after 160 will be closed!) Maybe we can connect one day when I get my shack set up again (and in cooler months with 160 is workable from a noise perspective in the northern hemisphere.)

- Roger WD4IGX

VK5EEE likes this.