iMac users please step in

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KJ4RT, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all mine is a mid 2011 model running O/S 10.13.6. The problem is this; occasionally iy will lose connection with my modem (I am wired straight in) however a re-start will straighten it out again for an undetermined amount of time. Just wondering what could be causing this and if there is a cure for it? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Cable modem or DSL? Do you have the modem connected to a hub/router and switch or is it directly connected computer to modem? (Only regard the last question if the modem doesn't have a built-in router and switch.)

I've had the same problem regardless of what computer or OS I run. It may be the ISP (Internet Service Provider) who is periodically and randomly resetting connections in your area as part of its maintenance procedures. I've got Spectrum here and they have a tendency to power cycle their feeds after 12 midnight at random once a week. If it is your ISP doing this, there's not much to do except wait until it's done, which could take up to an hour.

If your connection gets lost and comes back immediately after a restart of the computer, it might be either be your network and modem needs a power reset or there is something software-wise on the iMac that's blocking or corrupted. I'd start by unplugging and plugging back in the power feed from the modem and network (if your network is separate from the modem itself). Once that's done, and you may have to wait a few minutes for connections to be re-established, go onto your iMac and use it a while.

Sometimes modems and network equipment can wear out over the years (more so with modems) and replacing worn out equipment can help. Your ISP and some electronic retailers can help you with new replacement equipment. Now, this just covers the hardware side of everything.

For the software side, it could be any number of things from malware to something simple, like a corrupted System Preference file related to your Network settings. The files for that are stored in Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration. If you navigate there, you'll find files that end with ".plist". These can be deleted safely (send them to the Trash and empty Trash); Mac OS X will make a new one when you open up System Preferences and go to Network to verify your settings.

Reply back any time. If it's fixed, let us know what you did. That way, if someone here has the same problem, they can use this thread as an example for fixing theirs.

73s,

Joe KC8RLU

3. KJ4RT

Modem is only about 3 years old. I am hardwired from it to the computer. My ISP is Spectrum/Time Warner. This problem happens randomly and as soon as I do a restart of my mac it is solved. Anyway I will check motorola and see if there is a software update for my modem. Had not thought of that.

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Otis,
    I'm on 10.14.6 which the attached picture is from.
    In the distant past renewal of the lease was not as automatic as it seems to be now days. I'm not saying that is your problem, but maybe something to look at.

Next time you get disconnected navigate to here and click renewal and see if that helps. If it does it only points to the problem. You typically should not I have to manually renew. At least I don't have too.
    Good Luck,
    73, Mike KE5MC

P.S. modem update is a good idea

ResetDHCP.png

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

When you say "lose connection", exactly what happens? You don't have internet access, the ethernet status light on one or both ends goes away, be more specific as to what is happening.

When you say reboot, what are you rebooting? The computer, modem or both? If you haven't tried it, reboot just one thing at a time and see what piece of hardware reboot solves the issue.

Since this is your own modem, what do the logs tell you? You should be able to log into http:192.168.100.1 and retrieve the logs (as long as Spectrum hasn't locked you out).

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Just as a shot in the dark, when was the last time your modem/router/switch's firmware was updated?

7. KJ4RT

View attachment 582841 [/QUOTE]
    No internet access and as for rebooting I am referring to the computer. My Modem is only about 3 years old.

8. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, you've got cable modem and the modem is a Motorola brand. The latter part may be the problem. I've had a number of problems when it came to Motorola cable modems. We then switched to ARRIS brand and haven't had a drop since. Abit is another problematic brand, but I've been told Spectrum isn't issuing those anymore.

You can try what Mike KE5MC suggests above, but if the modem is the problem, I would hold off until that is replaced. What you could do is look up the make and model of Motorola cable modem on Google. See how many complaints people have had using it on any cable broadband ISP carrier. If the number is high, I'd just go ahead with replacing it. Make sure, you register your new modem with Spectrum by giving them the MAC address listed on the label of the modem before you use it. Especially if you buy the modem off the shelf from some big box electronics retailer. (You own the modem and save on the rental fee Spectrum charges on your bill, but you're responsible for replacing the modem if it fails.) If you have Spectrum provide you the modem, they'll take care of that all in-house before it leaves their office.

73s,

Joe KC8RLU

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The consumer can not Update/Upgrade Firmware for Cable Modem.
    ==
    Your Internet Service Provider (ISP), Spectrum (formerly Time Warner, Charter, Brighthouse) in your case, controls the operation/support of your Cable Modem. That includes Activation and Firmware Updates.
    ==
    You may have an ISP issue.
    Their monitoring system should observe IF your Cable Modem is locking up, on WAN side (their coaxial service delivery).

Some ISP Head-End Equipment & their Support Centers LIMIT
    the DOCSIS 3.x cable modems that they support.

Spectrum
    https://www.whistleout.com/Internet/Guides/spectrum-compatible-modems#Best-Overall-Spectrum-Modem

Wire Cutter
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Spectrum doesn't charge a rental fee. The modems they give you however, are Puma chipset modems that may or may not ruin your day.