I'm tired of using Microsoft word for my logging lol. I'm looking for a free one

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by N0MIO, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed hrd on windows 7 64 bit and it works ok. I know hrd seems to be a power hog. I will try and start inputting satellite contacts and see his it all works

2. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I should dump this 32-bit Linux box, and replace it with a new 64-bit PC running Windows 7. :)

3. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Running Virtual-box on 1 GB of memory is the problem.
    I'm running it on Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64 with 8GB of memory.
    I assign WinXP 32bit and Win7 64bit 4GB of physical memory (I don't run them both at the same time) and reserve the rest for the host system.

4. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a big fan of the ARRL log book and a pen. That's still my primary logging tool. Usually, I'll also enter contacts in HRD, but I make sure I have the paper log. I've lost quite a few digital files over the years, but I can show you the log entry for my first QSO in the early 70's, and I'm not likely to loose it unless the house burns down. 73

5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started out using HRD 5 yrs ago and you do get what you pay for. I have tried every free program out there and only one of them remain N1MM use it for some contests but export from it to my main log.

After trying them all I bought Logic8 and have never looked back there is still nothing that touches it as far as features and customizability of a program. Plus it's the only logger that you can call and speak to the person who wrote it most anytime and if you need something special he will write it for you.

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I used Logic for years and switched to HRD because HRD had far more features than Logic did!! I also had problems with Logic interfacing with MixW, causing logging errors that I didn't find until after the fact. HRD also has satellite tracking for your rotor if you are in to that, audio recorders, audio spectrum analyzer, N1MM-style band-mapping for quickly seeing where everything is . . . the list goes on. Logic didn't have any of that at the time but I have not looked at the latest version.

Of course, Logic still costs $$$ while HRD is free. I never had any need to call Dennis over any Logic issues and while I do appreciate his personal touch, the HRD forum is full of "help" files and any questions I've ever had were quickly answered on the help forum.

Both are good programs, but since the original question was about free ones, HRD wins hands-down on that issue!

...........Bob

7. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Having used HRD for over 6 years now I would find it hard pressed to find a better program for my ham radio use. I only use one other program for contesting and that is N1MM's fine program If HRD had a contesting that worked Like N1MM HRD would be the only program I would use. I have HRD configured to Back-up to a external HD every time I close it down so I have not lost any Contacts in my log (over 10K). As far as Linux goes I tried it for about 2 months on my Laptop and went back to Windows. The latest version of HRD has the LoTW interface and that works GREAT. So I do Recommend Ham Radio Deluxe and best of all it is FREE.

8. N0MIO

So I think i am going to download and try HRD. How does one use it. I plan on mainly using it for FM Amateur Radio Satellite contacts.

9. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you need to read the deflections, as usual. Depending on your rig, it can interface with it, or not. Either way works.

10. N0MIO

ok will do. I use a Yaesu 7800R which it may or may not like but I will definitely give this program a try. thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.