I'm posting this because I believe i've been ripped off.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K5LRU, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K5LRU

K5LRU Ham Member QRZ Page

I responded to an ad on QRZ for a IC718 being sold by AL1H. I looked up his records on QRZ and he had many sales under his belt and he was taking Paypal, which I thought was an added layer of safety.
    But as soon as I had sent the money the ad page disappeared and when I went to Paypal the money didn't go to the address I sent it to, but to a different one. Now no one answers my emails. Here is the cached page I ordered from; https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/icom-ic-718-hf-transceiver.594592/#post-4513879

I'm an old man it's easy to fool me, I saved up a year to buy a radio and now a thief has my money. I thought I took all the precautions, I followed the swapmeet rules. My advice to others is when the thiefs can fake everything on a website, it's time to stop buying from these sites.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Were you advised to pay through PayPal as "Friends and Family ' ?, and did you do so ? There is ZERO security for Friends and Family, and yet so many still fall for that scam. Otherwise you should have gotten your money back.
  3. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

If you sent using Paypal Friends and Family you lost your money.
    What argument did the seller use on you to do Friends and Family
  4. WA2PVM

WA2PVM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear this..
    Was there a call/QSL card shown ?

This is what I found for the posting:
    For sale : ICOM IC-718 HF Transceiver with ICOM UT-106 DSP Module installed, ICOM HM-36 Hand Microphone, Full-length double-fused DC Power Cable, and... ... a smoke free home. Asking for $365.00 shipped and insured . No trades . Prefer Paypal payment . Contact : al1h.maxwell099@gmail.com ...
  5. AE5Z

AE5Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Paypal is very customer friendly. If you have been ripped off, just file a claim.
  6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

File a claim with PayPal and they'll usually refund the money. Unless you used Friends and Family. You didn't, did you?
  7. KG5RPX

KG5RPX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

you CAN get all your money back from Paypal, file a claim with them. go to the transaction on paypal in your account and click thru the links and notify them as soon as possible. I too got ripped on from an ad here on QRZ just a few weeks ago. luckily i had also sent an email to the real Ham and he replied and said he had not sold anything. apparently they had hacked his QRZ page and were deleting the real persons info because i did check his profile, they had just deleted the cautions on his profile when they placed the ad. Paypal refunded my money rather easily.
    Mark KG5RPX
  8. K5LRU

K5LRU Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I followed Paypals rules. They got their commision. I hope I can get my money back,but it looks like it will take awhile.
  9. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

AL1H has no email address in his QRZ profile. There was a 8 year gap in posts from AL1H from 9/27/2006 to 1/16/2014. Only prior to 1/16/2014 did AL1H post forsale ads. Looking at posts by AL1H two different email addresses were given, one so far has bounced. One of the posts has a phone number, (907) 745-1116. Moderator has reported AL1H account compromised and closed.

Did the ad have a photo with a physical callsign next to the radio?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  10. W5GJT

W5GJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Jerome, you are not alone. I purchased the same radio listed on QRZ by the same person for $350 (gave me a $15 discount).

As told by the seller, I sent the PayPal payment on 08 January to al1h.maxwell099@gmail.com. My PayPal transaction shows ’Money sent to Trinity Cleaning Services, 770-466-6926, Boglin26@outlook.com’ (located in Georgia?). I contacted PayPal but they provided no more information.

I also found that the listing had disappeared from QRZ. I contacted the QRZ User Support Center and was told the following

I see that you can still find some information about this listing if you google with the email al1h.maxwell099@gmail.com

See: https://www.google.com/search?sourc....1..0...1.2.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.6954Mculhmc

Who deleted the listing and why? :-(

73 Gene