I'm old or something

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Oct 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

    W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    So the lesson learned is...

    Quit going to hamfests!! :p:p:p
    N2EY likes this.
  2. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

  3. N2EY

    N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Because they paid for themselves if they made it across the ocean - one way. After that it was all gravy.

    A typical Liberty ship could carry about 10,000 tons of cargo. At $2 million per ship, this meant a capital cost of $200 per ton if the ship made it one-way from the USA to the destination.

    How much is 10,000 tons of WW2 cargo? Take a look:

    WZ7U likes this.
  4. N2EY

    N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page


    Transistors were for rich kids.

    Here's the Southgate Type 4 receiver:


    Only the solder, crystals and 88 mH toroids were bought. The chassis, panel, brackets, etc. were formed from sheet aluminum. The various parts came from TV sets, AM BC radios, ARC-5 surplus, and....a plastic cereal bowl. Even the wire was used.

    The reason for the terminal strip with jumpers and the terminal board with resistors was to permit the use of odd-voltage series-string TV tubes like 3BZ6 and 7AU7, as well as their "normal" counterparts.

    For mobile/portable applications, a dynamotor did the job:

    KI7HSB likes this.
  5. W4ZD

    W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

    The cereal bowl was a clever idea. Yours? I guess an Eddystone was outside the budget. :)
  6. N2EY

    N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page


    Yes, it was my idea. It was inspired by the drum dial in the Hammarlund HQ-215.

    The cereal bowl was made of translucent plastic and was illuminated by two pilot lights inside, so the light shone through. This idea was used in the Southgate Type 7, with a drum dial made from a piece of Plexiglas tubing.

    You mean an Eddystone 898 dial? If so, such a dial cost more than twice what that entire receiver cost, and all you got was a dial. The 898 needs a Millen 39016 shaft coupler (a form of Oldham's coupling, with zero backlash and good insulation) plus a high-quality tuning capacitor. All expensive - and unnecessary for a frugal Yankee such as myself.

    The solution is to use the capacitor/dial drive from an ARC-5 transmitter, or from an LM or BC-221 frequency meter. There were and are plenty of such transmitters and freqmeters that are beyond repair/restoration which can provide good capacitors with integral dial drives.

    Good ol' Yankee ingenuity, nothing more or less.
    W4ZD likes this.
  7. KI7HSB

    KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

    OMG that so reminds me of one of my first home made electronics projects back in 1974... Built my own guitar amp from scratch, mostly from vacuum tubes and other parts salvaged out of an old HiFi I found out at the city dump... Aluminum chassis frame was cut and bent out of an old road sign. Speaker cabinet was made from scrap lumber I found around the farm... I grew up poor...

    Good times!
    N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

    N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page


    When I became a ham, the only way to the license test sessions was to cross a lake. We had to wait for summer when the lake wasn't frozen; but even then the water was REALLY cold. And there were bears that could swim - fast. Walking around the lake was not an option because of the distance, the sheer cliffs, the mountain lions and gully cats, plus the rabid raccoons and psychotic foxes.

    There were also lake sharks who had mutated because of all the pollutants in the water, so they could live in fresh water AND they lost their dorsal fins, making it harder to see them coming.

    We had to put a second set of clothes in a waterproof bag and tow it behind us as we swam the lake, because if you didn't change clothes when you got out of the water, you'd freeze to death, even in the summer. Plus they wouldn't let you into the exam session in wet clothes, and your papers and such had to be dry too.

    We also had to wait for a clear night with a full moon, so we could see our way. The exam sessions were held at the crack of dawn and you had to leave at about midnight in order to be there on time. You couldn't use a flashlight because the bears and the lake sharks would be attracted by them.

    You couldn't eat or drink for two hours before leaving home for the exam session because of the danger of cramping while swimming the lake. And you couldn't bring food with you because the bears would smell it no matter how well you wrapped it.

    At the exam session, besides having to present three approved forms of photo ID, fingerprints, blood sample and a retinal scan, there was an early form of DNA analysis and a full cavity search before they'd let you enter the building that connected to the building where the exams were held. I'm not allowed to tell you of the additional security measures used inside those buildings.....

    The return trip was somewhat easier, because it was daylight by then, and the bears and lake sharks usually weren't as hungry. However, the wind was in your face the whole way home.

    All that just to get a Novice license. Piece of cake, really.

    For the other licenses....now THEY were TOUGH.

    But you tell new hams that today, and they won't believe you.
    KI7HSB likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

  10. KL7AJ

    KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Mike Rowe signed onboard an Alaskan Fishing vessel. The captain told him, "My job is not to get you home alive...it's to get you home rich." :)

Share This Page

ad: Schulman-1