I'm old or something

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Oct 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Or Lawns.....

K9ASE and PY2RAF like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just keep off MY lawn!:p:D

3. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, this is the thing that keeps me from undertaking retro projects. Are the parts still available? I don't relish the thought of perusing some old landfill looking for old radio and TV chassis. What if, for instance, I wanted to build a simple superhet ham band receiver with a 455kc IF? Do those things (IF transformers) even exist anymore?

Maybe someday I'll get off my fat butt and look into it. :D

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For amateurs, spark transmitters were no longer legal by the late 1920s.

5. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a bunch of QST from the year I was born, 1955. There are even some transistor projects in a few articles.

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost any older parts can be found if someone is willing to look, pay the price, and test them before use. "Retro" is actually easier because the parts were fewer, bigger, and more easily substituted.

The REAL trick is to design around parts that are found, or can be obtained or manufactured easily.

There are plenty of online sources of older parts. Just don't expect to pay 1959 prices in 2019.

---

I've got every QST from the mid-1920s on, and some even earlier. Worse, I've read every one.

W3ATT likes this.
  7. KD9NXQ

KD9NXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

On the contrary, Old Age and Treachery always beat Youth and Enthusiasm(or Skill)

8. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Build it DX will come!!!

9. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Likely with 2N### (three-digit) numbered transistors!
    I remember ordering some of those early transistors through the DOD's military supply system (NSN's) in the 80's.
    1950's vintage Collins' Universal Radio Group (URG) HF system equipment used several.
    I doubt there are too many of them left anymore... though I don't peruse parts catalogs. :(

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember playing around with the CK722, and later a 2N107... Am I an "antique" yet?:confused::rolleyes:

NL7W likes this.