I'm now a ham!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by VE7NDE, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE7NDE

VE7NDE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in VE7, and I took my basic qualification test two days ago, and passed with a score of 92 percent. That gives me access to every single amateur radio band, including those on shortwave. My examiner now has to send my application to Industry Canada in the next eight days, and I will receive my operator's certificate and call sign in the next eighteen days. I have now started to save my money up to build my ham station. I have an elmer, and he has given me a 2-metre transceiver with which I can start out.

2. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's Great!!

Congratulations and welcome!I hope to add you to the station log soon!

3. VE3CEH

VE3CEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations :D

4. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulation

5. KJ6EZQ

KJ6EZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations.
    So how does the amateur licensing process work in your area? Just curious. Do you have different tests and classes like we do?

6. VE3CEH

VE3CEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Canadian winter work!!

Well, the local clubs usually do a course in the winter months. There the curriculum can contain various info example New students generally receive code, elctrical & radio theory. Radio circuits, Antenna 's . Canadian radio law , then after I believe is 18 weeks a test is given, The test needs a score over 80 to receive a Basic Plus . below that score like me (Dam.. working offset work hours missed it by this much) So there is another test for an Advanced test it is more Electronics an detailed Radio circuitry aif I'm wrong please jump in an correct me' Thanks 73's Mike R. Calgary Alberta Canada..

7. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As soon as you get your license (call) let us know and we (DxHelpers) will add your data and get your user id changed to your call.
    Go here: QRZ.COM Callsign Database Helpers
    and this will be done for you.

8. VE7NDE

VE7NDE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Basic Qualification exam consists of 100 questions from nine different categories, from regulations all the way to interference. All one has to do in Canada to get a ham licence is, after an optional study period, find a nearby accredited examiner who holds a ham licence with both basic and advanced qualifications, take the test, have the examiner grade it, and if one passes, a form is filled out and sent in to Industry Canada. It takes a score of 70 questions correct to get a ham licence, but getting at least 80 questions correct allows access to HF, known as "basic with honours". Getting a vanity callsign is free, or one can just choose a sequential callsign.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent - and what a great place to be on the air. I think you will particularly enjoy HF, and perhaps may be surprised at the variety of opportunities. It's very easy to work Asia and the Pacific from where you are. Europe's a bit more challenging, but it can easily be done when conditions are good. Being further north, you're more prone to auroral zone signal absorption, but not as much as those of us further to the east.

The last time I was up there, there was plenty of activity on the local 2 meter FM repeaters, too. 75/80 meters was always busy with Canadians in the evening, too, and you're in range of some major U.S. population centers to increase the activity you'll hear on the bands. BC is the home of IRLP, so linked repeaters abound, supporting lots of long range contacts with a handheld.

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations!
    And Welcome to Ham Radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.