I'm looking for an FM trasceiver that will scan the 2 meters band in a looping, continous fashion.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC0BUS, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I'm wanting a 2 meters only or even a 2 meters/440MHz dual band FM transceiver hand-held or mobile that will scan the 2 meters band in such a way that when it first starts scanning it starts at either the top or bottom of the 2 meters band and then scans through the entire band and then when it gets to one end or the other it just simply loops around and does it again and keeps on doing it non-stop, in a continuous fashion. The only time it stops scanning, of course, is when it receives a signal and then stops and monitors the signal for several seconds. My current transceiver doesn't do this and I wish that it did. If you know of any transceivers that do this straight-forward and simple task, please let me know.
    Thank you

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think many modern radios will scan like this in VFO mode. I seem to recall my FT-1900 and FT-7900 doing this. Don't recall if you could set the high / low frequency limits, tho.

3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Scanning in a continuous frequency chain takes a fast CPU to do that.
    Scanning programmed repeaters is much faster.
    My old 707 Kenwood does it.
    Often you can set the limits in the Menu. Goes from 118 to about 500 mhz.
    I use it in 'repeater' scan all the time when out mobile.

K3RW likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't envision a full freq scan of a UHF/VHF band would be that useful. I scan local repeaters. You could add some typical simplex frequencies also if you wish. Scanning all frequencies would generally be pretty inefficient on UHF/VHF. You would be scanning unused portions of the band.

5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out what a FT60R. You can scan bands or frequencies UHF or VHF. Mine scans some preset channels on vhf FM, UHF FM and aircraft channels AM.
    Its very versitile as a scanner and a good handheld, when mobile I add a brick amplifier

6. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think just about any rig will do what you want. They have "band edge memories" or "scan limit memories" or what ever each manufacturer calls them. You set and upper and lower frequencies in these memories and it will just scan between them. I've owned mostly Yaesu and Icom mobiles including: IC-2340, 2350, 2720 and Yaesu 7800. I'm pretty sure they all do it.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know of any 2m radio made in the past 30 years that won't do that, but maybe one exists.

I've actually done it with the following: Yaesu FT-60, Yaesu VX-6, Yaesu FT-7900, Yaesu FT-2900, Icom IC-R2, Radio Shack Pro-2004, Radio Shack Pro-34. Some of those are receive-only.

8. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Scott Fike KC0BUS, has asked more than 1,000 questions on here the past 15 years. Most are open-ended, vague like this one, and he rarely shows any sign of making use of the information. One thread he initiated appeared to be a topic he could be planning to write a book about. Thus, with all the responses he's got to all his questions, we could be helping write such a book for him, the theory goes !!!

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Won't a Baofeng fit the bill ? :rolleyes:

Some receive all frequencies at once. o_O

10. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to be able to scan the SSB/CW/digi portions on wm, which also perusing around 146.52. But with SSB and FM modes, only way I have managed yo do that is run 2 rigs... one FM on a scan and the SSB portion on a scan.

I suppose a SDR waterfall would also visualize that, so if I get s RSP Duo or the 2A version, it could do the same.