I'm gonna need a bigger bag (portable QRP pic thread?)

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Jan 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

And no thanks, I have no interest in Charlie's swingy lumbar backpack. Ha!

My station is slowly expanding, as I am told happens with age:) my rig just about fills my little sling bag, but it's starting to get worn out. Plus I need more room to pack a more serious antenna.. So I'm interested in movin' on up and want to know what the rest of you RF ninjas are toting around.

So share pics or advice please!

Pictured: VISM first responder sling bag. Headphones (hidden behind flap), power cable, 6/2/0.7 rubber duck, 7ah SLAB under the key, speedx key, mic, ft817, metal stand, neck strap.

Attached Files:

2. KC3JIN

To illustrate my point, if that's needed, this is my station plus 20m wire vertical. Lotta fun but not easy to tote, even with the red paper gift bag I stole from the YL!

Attached Files:

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a good combo!

I like my MP-1 antenna, maybe covers more bands but I doubt it works as well as your tall wire.

Could save some weight with a LiFePO battery, but that will seriously lighten your wallet!!!

MM3ENM likes this.
  4. KC3JIN

Seriously. I don't walk far enough to justify the expense.. plus strong legs are free!

5. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got away from using "bags" for my portable radio equipment.

I find a decent sized Pelican case is much more organized, easier to transport and the equipment layout inside makes it easier to access and operate everything. Just open the lid and turn the radio on scenario.

With bags, you're often required to remove stuff from inside the bag and connect everything together before you can operate anything. So all this digging around inside the bag for things means there's more setup time required in many cases. With a Pelican case you just plop it down anywhere, open it and everything is right there at your fingertips.

Backpacks are fine if you're hiking somewhere into the woods, but the majority of my operating is done from a picnic table, or a fishing spot that's not very far away from civilization, so a portable "shack in a box" with a heavy duty carry handle works perfectly fine for me.

I have many photos if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    K7WFM, KA0USE, W5BIB and 2 others like this.
  7. KC3JIN

Uh, heck yes Charles! Let's see a few!

8. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was using just a messenger bag, for radio and dipoles, but need a bigger bag myself for my new MP1.

Its definitely worth the extra carry - its a really nice antenna.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

IMAG0819.jpg

go box latest.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

IMAG0809.jpg

IMAG0810.jpg

battery setup2.jpg

link dipole.jpg

panel and wire.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

KK5JY and K6CLS like this.
  10. KG5KOG

KG5KOG Ham Member QRZ Page

now that's neat, an inflatable brick that weighs next to nothing until you blow it up.

Seeing that actually got me to thinking about using a roll top bag and fill it with sand for an anchor to use like that.

N9UO, W5BIB and KC8VWM like this.