I'm going to Ireland!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2AFV, Jul 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3SWL

    KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    might be the shortest honeymoon.......ever......then you will be erecting your antenna all by yourself and may have an empty seat on the way back home next to you!!
  2. AA7EJ

    AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Under CEPT you are supposedly to operate within your home license "privileges" applicable to the current country..
    As far as carrying license , only US showed some interest, nobody else cared.
    The only reason I carry my FT857 wast to operate 75 cm in EU UHF contest, with local group.
    They provided 13 element Yagi and it was fun making contacts with 25 W from lookout tower.
    However , most of the time "normal" 2 meters "local" traffic was nill.

    I find it odd - all these years one "talks" to distant places and when opportunity arises is planning to spent time on radio instead of roaming the countryside.
    Never mid it snowed in Venezia and there are hundreds of steps in Cinque Terre.

    Our next trip is to get wet thru "Inside passage" , maybe even try Chillkoot trail...
    Radio stays home.

    Happy pub hopping
    73 Shirley
  3. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    I'd check with the ARRL site first; it's more accurate then most. As a General, you MAY be limited to VHF/UHF operations. Also be aware that much of Europe has different 2 Meter allocations than the U.S., typically only 146-148 MHz.
  4. KT1F

    KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

  5. SM0AOM

    SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

    The only US licences currently accepted for default HAREC privileges in CEPT countries are the Advanced and Extra.

    If the Irish Administration ComReg also applies the equivalence of the US General to the CEPT Novice licence is best answered by them.

  6. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

  7. W4IOA

    W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

    Dang it, you beat me to it:p

    To the OP
    Leave the radio home, propagation isn't that good and even I can think of better ways to spend my time in Ireland on a honeymoon. Driving, sightseeing, pub crawls, and dodging werewolves will keep you busy enough.
    WZ7U, WR2E and AC3GO like this.
  8. N4QX

    N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    Toby, back to your question, with important takeaways in italicized bold:

    There are two types of European reciprocal privileges.

    The CEPT Radio Amateur License privileges are available to United States Advanced or Amateur Extra class licensees in countries that participate in CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01. Ireland participates in this recommendation, but you do NOT (presently) have the needed class of United States license.

    The CEPT Novice Radio Amateur License privileges are available to United States General class licensees in countries that participate in ECC Recommendation (05)06. You have the needed class of United States license, but Ireland does NOT (presently) participate in this Recommendation.

    If it's important to you to do this, you need to upgrade to Extra before you go.

    That said, consider not doing this, even if you upgrade to Extra. Your bride will appreciate it. Mine did.

    "The radio amateur is balanced."--The Amateur's Code.

    73 de Brennan N4QX
    WZ7U and W7UUU like this.
  9. AG4RT

    AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

    You could try talking to your wife and sharing the countryside with her. Just a thought...
    AC3GO likes this.
  10. KP4SX

    KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    If you see a guy in a bulky sweater standing on a bridge carving a bar of soap tell him I said "hey".
    WJ4U likes this.

Share This Page