I'm getting old or the opposite ??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KH8AC, Feb 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KH8AC

KH8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is one radio the ICOM M710 that supposedly to program it for amateur radio you need to use DOS and at the maximum for Windows would be 95. The program is out there off and on on a diskette.

I think you can use Windows 10 for DOS but then that does not work because of odd ball conflicts with serial ports. (and endless other tales)

Have an extra W95 around ?

If one might think I am creating an odd subject and solution as to the M710 for amateur radio ?

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just old, out of date, and and not computer literate. :)

If you are using a 32 bit windows, you do not have to do anything, Just click the EXE, BATCH, or COM file and it will run just fine on any version of windows.

If you have a 64 bit version, most likely you do, you need to download a app called VDOS.

Step 1: Download and install vDos. Install it in C:\vDos, its recommended to install vDos inside your Documents folder. In this way the files will be backed up and protected.

Step 2: Load vDos, and you’ll get a DOS environment in a windows. Press any key to run a database program. Press 0 to exit that program and get to the old DOS command prompt. From there you can launch any DOS program or run any DOS command.

Nothing to it.

While you are at it, tap the Time Button on your VCR and it will quit flashing 12:00 at you. :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    W1TRY likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I
    I wouldn't be too surprised if I did.....SOMEWHERE. I do know I have a coupla 98s around

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

You are only as old as you feel.
    Who have you felt up lately?

5. BG4IJH

BG4IJH Ham Member QRZ Page

刚好最近几天我也在互联网上查找关于M710的一些资料,好像使用DOSBox 0.74-3 可以用,请问你那里有M710控制软件吗? 能否发送一份给我? 我的邮箱yuhaisha@163.com

6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Google translated below:
    Just in the past few days, I also searched for some information about M710 on the Internet. It seems that it can be used with DOSBox 0.74-3. Do you have M710 control software there? Can you send me a copy? my mail box

W1TRY and W7UUU like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Thank you for providing"

"感谢你提供的翻译 "

is what BG4IJH replied - not my words - Google translate

@BG4IJH

8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Dave. It was the 供 that threw me off ... :rolleyes:

WA9SVD likes this.
  9. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old IBM 386 Thinkpad laptop ...... but I put w 98 SE on it just to see if it would run it.
    The darn thang did!

WN1MB likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

o_O You mean, there's something newer than MS-DOS 6.22?:confused::rolleyes: