ad: M2Ant-1

Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was going on LONG before CB became a thing. Ever hear of a Kalifornia Kilowatt? ;)

Anyhow, going from 1500 watts to 5000 delivers less than 1 S unit of gain...so... the improvement would be fairly minimal for the cost and trouble involved. And it is against the rules.

Not that the FCC would be likely to do anything. They'd first have to determine you were running five thousand watts. And they'd also have to have more enforcement budget and motivation than they have had in a long time. On the other hand, it's not like 5 thousand watts would be disruptive or even that noticeable compared to 1500...;)

PU2OZT and LU6PSG like this.
  2. AF5XF

AF5XF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always said 'how can you prove how many watts a person is running?'

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. AF5XF

that works ok most of the time, but there are times when legal limit(however much that may be) is an improvement.

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The way they did it 50 years or so ago was to measure field strength in close proximity to you with out you knowing, and then knock on the door and say 'station inspection - load it up till they get the same reading.' Of course that was back when they had monitoring vans, and a budget, unlike now. The locals would say uncle Charlie is in town, and clean up their act for a while.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

VE4AJM and PU2OZT like this.
  5. AF5XF

sounds reasonable,course I didn't know about them being able to do a 'station check', I had thought about measuring field strength but I wasn't sure how to get from there to the watt number.(different antennas and such)

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Having spent a lot of hours operating HAARP with 1GW I don't need to get my jollies running Illegal power

AF5XF, W2VW and N3RYB like this.
  7. KJ3A

KJ3A Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah CB channel 6 is pretty much the big Channel with antenna and amplifier is ready to power half a town eyewitness sparks flying between antennas amplifiers driving truck motors down to nothing with multiple alternators rather insane if you ask me

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. ZL4IV

ZL4IV Ham Member QRZ Page

I find the reference to 'Legal' or 'Illegal' interesting because both terms mean nothing unless there is a power greater than you to to enforce it. Most laws are useless unless the targeted people feel either fear of strict enforcement or a moral obligation to abide by the law.In the case of Ham's most feel a moral obligation to play by the rules where CB'rs probably not so much. Ham's have always had more moral fiber than most but the fact is like the general public there has and always been a criminal element. Rule of law is a fragile thing which new politicians find out the hard way, they are not as powerful as they thought as only when you have the heart of the people do laws work. I am glad to be part of the Amateur Radio Community because to me it is generally self regulating with a strong sense of right or wrong. So fellow Ham's there will always be people that transgress but generally we are pretty good bunch, glass half full, right?

9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

ohhhhh not at all!!!
    Them, politicians, they are weak with the strongs, strong with the weaks. Isn't a mafia motto!?
    Them, regulatory agencies, they're unable to protect our hobby. Them, knowledgeable agents, they know much less then us.

So my message to them all is quite simple: let me in peace, and I won't harm anyone.

Oliver

AF5XF likes this.
  10. K4DBC

K4DBC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only had my ticket for a few months. I've built all my VHF/UHF antennas and my first trip into HF was off a end fed wire. I bought a small qrp type rig to work out in the field and for a serious HF transceiver I went with what was the coolest rig I remember from my teen years. A Kenwood TS-520S. It came from the estate of K4EAA and is absolutely pristine. The finals look like they have never been warmed up. I had it checked out before using it and the shop said it was they had just taken it out of the box.
    I've been having a lot of fun with it and it's almost 100w output on 10 meters.
    One or these days I may want more power but better antennas would probably do more for me. I've got the space for whatever I want. Just need the $$$$

KD2ACO likes this.