Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. VE7RF

VE7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Great concept Carl ! In that case, only a simple splitter is required, on the output of the xcvr. Then drive 2 x amps. with a separate ant for each amp.

Jim VE7RF

KM1H likes this.
  2. KB9HRS

KB9HRS Ham Member QRZ Page

And what is the legal power limit on the 11 meter band???? And why would you even have an amp in your possession as a CB'er?
    The FCC de-regulation ( read that as the abandonment of the Citizens Radio Service) in the late 70's and early '80's, coupled with the legions of morons screaming "hello skip-land" into an over-modulated, spur-chucking splatterbox, and driving an ILLEGALLY operated amp with said splatterbox, is the reason I got a ham ticket and left 11 meters! Prepare for it to get worse on 160 through 10!! Throngs of the "entitlement-generation hams" are pushing the ARRL and the FCC to allocate even more operating frequencies to them. And I'm referring directly to the short-cut hams that merely memorized the answers to the syllabus questions and passed a test. They obviously never studied or learned a damn thing about the hobby, the theory, and FCC Regulations. The end-game? All the benefits of the hobby, just as afforded to those who actually LEARNED to participate in the hobby. Then comes the home-brew amps. Maybe 3 or 4kw at first. And when they can't make that contact in Japan or Russia with a "little illegal power", it will be 10,15,30 or 40kw.
    I can hear it now. The same morons I got away from on 11 meter, yelling "Breaker" with a 100,000 watt PEP, to interrupt a contest QSO.
    I fear the worst for for amatuer operators on all bands both here in the U.S. and abroad.
    KB9HRS

N8ZL likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What really gets me is when a operator says Break Break, When there is no emergency.

Breaker and 10-4 does not bother me.

Over. :rolleyes:

K0UO likes this.
  4. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OM Power sells an amplifier that is advertised at 4kW out and uses two (2) 240v outlets...now tell me, with a straight face, that the guy buying one of these things keeps it at 1500w and never, ever runs more than that - just like the guy in the new Corvette never exceeds the speed limit...whatever. I'll believe that when I sell my oceanfront property in Kansas.

WD4ELG, KQ0J, N5AF and 2 others like this.
  5. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rules say 1500 watts to the antenna. Does not say anything, on HF, about ERP. Well except 60 and 30 meters. Now if I could only get more gain on 30m I might get Hawaii. Friend had a dual 8878 amp years ago. A two holer. Huge tuner and custom made open wire. He already had a huge rhombic.
    John K4YNZ

K0UO likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

To do it right, 3 Phase is the way to go. :)

K6LPM, N5AF, KQ9J and 1 other person like this.
  7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't you guys get the emo that came with your license? The rules do not apply to hams. It Is like this. No one cares about HF. Not enough bandwidth and way too noisy to be of any use. No money in it. That is why governments gave it away, no one wants it.

AE8W likes this.
  8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

It was over 20 years ago.
    Glad to have given you something to rant about.
    Merry Christmas.

Ed

N5AF and KQ9J like this.
  9. LU6PSG

LU6PSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Splatterboxes are back and many of them are operated by hams under a different (more fancy) designation: LDMOS amplifiers

AG5CK likes this.
  10. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

LDMOS amps, done right, are not splatterboxes.
    My 6M Larcan TV broadcast transmitter amp went through more rigorous testing than any ham amp, I am sure. It's capable of 1800W & I run it at 1200W.
    A properly built amp, operated correctly, should have little harmonics/IMD.
    I will soon be building a dual 1K80H amp that will run rather clean on HF, to replace my 2-MRF157 amp. It also will loaf at limit.

Ed

AF5XF, K6LPM, K2XT and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.