Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems as if I have seen them posted fairly regularly on Ebay for the rebuilds often less than $700.00 I also noticed used rebuildable for $200-$400 sold on ebay. In my mind any specific large ceramic transmitting tube with such capabilities as the 3cx3000a7 certainly seems reasonably bargain priced at anything under $1000.... I think if a person was resourceful enough and took his time, he could probably eventually score a decent tube with plenty of life for $400....
    I knew of a 3cx15000 that was sealed in the original box that sold at an estate sale for only a couple hundred bucks. If I knew they were going to do that I would have bought it.

2. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought this instead. IMG_20190904_233236749.jpg

3. VA3DXV

VA3DXV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah if I'm taking a chance on eBay tubes it ain't gonna be for $1000 that's for sure. Russian tubes on ebay are a bargain, used eimacs on eBay are a gamble.

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And some NOS 3-500Z Eimac are also a gamble. Eimac 3-500z tubes from dates 1986 to 1989 are known to be gassy and some plates were not welded correctly to the anode post. If a NOS Eimac 3-500Z is tested good by seller recently, it is a good tube that lasts up to 30 years unlike the 5 year life Chinese Taylor 3-500ZG tubes. As old adage states, 'you get what you pay for'.

6. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently acquired an amp that uses a 4CX5000A. It easily makes 5000 watts into a dummy load (and probably much more, but I don't have a dummy load that can handle it), but I never use it at over 1500 watts on the air and typically run it at 1200 watts output.

And note: this amp is perfectly legal--it's just not legal for me to use it with an output over 1500 watts on the ham bands.

K6LPM and K0UO like this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The New Border Blasters

There are a number of Mexican stations operating with calls that do not show up on qrz or other places but they're regularly on the air daily over the past year or so.

I have heard them talking about running up to 10,000 Watts, with a pair of 3CX3000s, 4CX5000 tubes, and one has a 4CX7500 and even a 10,000 and stuff like that on the air. They told me that they can still get pole pigs there for HV power supplies too!

Many of us are referring to them as the "New Border Blasters".

And we have to stay away from the Border Blaster frequencies because, they're running extremely wide Side Band audio. They definitely sound good! There's a number of license U.S. ham that talk to them daily in QSOs, they appear to be good operators.
    • A few of the U S and Canadian hams have been joking, that it's the new kind of Border Invasion, with the Border Blasters, blasting across the Ham Airways.

8. N3UML

N3UML XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what satisfaction do you get from working a station stateside running 1500 watts give me 80 to 100 watts mobile yet and work say all over europe on 75/80 now thats satisfaction. but each to his own i guess. 73 Allan N3UML

9. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Array Solutions has the OM 4000HF ($6,100) 4 KW. Must be some hams out there running 4 KW!

10. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

None, because I don’t have a 1500w amp.

If I did, I’d be as satisfied as I am now. :)