Illegal high power HF amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, May 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

LAME LAME LAME!
    Even LAMER!
    Utterly LAME and disrespectful to the spirit of HAM Radio!
    Probably many of the same players and shakers that profit off of the CBer shootouts....
    I am far from a prude or a goody 2 shoes. I can even admit being a bit of a rebel and might even appreciate a little bit of scofflaw behaviour in the name of occasional personal experimentation and amusement. but these types of nonsense and utter full on disrespectful attention is just plain assanine idiot. Please understand that I am not berating the authors that are relating these things but I am highly frowning upon those that are hams who would participate on such type of street race upon our sacred ham bands and or represent our esteemed community!!!!!
    I have witnessed a few avid DXers and contest station trustee station operators routinely run As much as nearly 10kW within US jurisdiction.....
    At least they didnt behave as total complete LIDS. Although a couple of them did make me cringe when I would hear the way they converse on the air. I always just found pity on them and figured it was because their parents were all probably related in more than one way before marriage and they were probably born defective!:eek:

K0RKH and WQ4G like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

From you I take that as a compliment:p

OTOH this was in the 80's and they were setup in one of the parking lots for all to see. Surprise, Surprise, there was nobody from the FCC, ARRL, CIA, or the local chapter of Whiners Anonymous on hand.:eek: :rolleyes:
    There are also many more FCC licensed hams that run super power including a few using commercial short wave transmitters that require 3 phase 440/480V service for a once a year broadcast.

K0UO likes this.
  3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

In MA. the CB shootouts were on the hill right above the FCC office on a Sunday....

Ed

KM1H, K0UO and KD2ACO like this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on the years many were likely using NH Transformer Company 3 phase transformers in their Suburbans along with several alternators. They were considerably cheaper than Dahl who had just about owned that market.....Oh horrors gee whiz.

I wonder if the same whiners on here always drive the speed limit:p:eek:

WW1WW likes this.
  5. N8VIL

N8VIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just looked up CB shootout and watched a couple videos. What a stupid thing. Reminds me of the kids with the big audio systems in their cars at competitions. I don't understand the point of that either.

K0RKH, WQ4G and MM0IMC like this.
  6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

To each, their own.

Ed

N8VIL, K7MH and KM1H like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One question, Carl:

If some US radio user decides to intentionally and deliberately run significantly more than the FCC authorized maximum power for their station, is that OK with you?

Also this, for grins:

FB_IMG_1563126663068.jpg

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at it another way.... It is far beyond my power to do anything about it so at least I dont constantly whine about it. Hams have been running beyond authorized power since restrictions were set over 100 years ago and will continue long past the time we are both worm food.

What do you do when someone blows by you on the highway obviously well over authorized maximum speed???

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I swear at the windshield because my car doesn't go as fast.

K6LPM likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's all well and good, but it doesn't answer the question I asked. It's not "whining" to say that it shouldn't be done.

So I'll ask again:

If some US radio user decides to intentionally and deliberately run significantly more than the FCC authorized maximum power for their station, is that OK with you?

It's a simple question.

Depends on the situation.

First off, I try to get out of their way.

If the "someone" is a police or emergency-services vehicle with the lights on, I don't do anything except "thoughts and prayers" that they get where they are going and help whoever needs help there.

If the "someone" is just some show-off who thinks the rules don't apply to him, I'll just let the show-off go by. Better to have that one ahead of me than behind me. Sometimes a bit of Morse on the horn to tell the show-off my opinion.

If the "someone" is going way over the limit, weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc., I will get the tag and vehicle description and call 911 when it's safe to do so.

But that's just me.

Decades ago, I was more....adventurous.

There was a time, way back in the 1980s when the speed limit was 55, when I would sometimes travel the Baltimore Washington Parkway, which was 2 lanes each way. In those times, the gendarmes wouldn't bother anyone going less than about 61 because of the limited accuracy of speedometers and radar of the time. I think the leeway was 10% plus minus.

I was in the right lane, doing the limit, when this dude in a Saab (this was so long ago they were cool cars then) comes up behind me and flashes the brights. He wanted me to get into the left lane (which was completely empty, there wasn't much traffic at all) so he didn't have to change lanes to pass!

So I slowed down a mph or two. He got right up on my rear bumper and flashed the brights, so I slowed down another mph or two. And then again.

He finally got tired of the game at about 50 mph, changed lanes, and sped up. And so did I. Got to about 65 mph before he got really ticked off, stomped on it, and went off in a cloud of dust. I slowed down and just let him go.

Half a mile down the road, I saw him again, pulled over by one of Maryland's finest men in blue.

No, I wouldn't do something like that today - too many nutcases out there. I was younger then, and just having a bit of fun with my 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019