Ignorant about PSK-31

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W9RAC, Jun 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there's an FT8 mode that is suited for rag chew, don't know if anyone uses it though, haven't looked around.

Used to enjoy RTTY back in the day, that was great for chewing the rag.

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was into PSK31 I found I could find other people to converse with by not using any macros. I typed in my exchanges. This made my signal easy to spot, if someone wanted to chew the rag.

3. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8CALL is used for rag chew but it seems to me that it would be painfully slow. I think it sends something like 13 characters every 15 second period. Words can be split across two transmit periods. If you have any QRM or QSB then you could miss a chunk of the text because there is no ARQ error checking.

The problem I see with PSK31 is that some people are not good typists therefore you get sent a bunch of macros including an inventory of every piece of equipment in the shack along with the make/model of computer, what type of processor it has, how much memory it has, and who made the hard drive :) On the other hand, PSK31 can be very enjoyable when both people are reasonable typists.

WR2E likes this.
  4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8CALL has been replaced by JS8CALL. JS8CALL is the software you need to be running. JS8 is the mode. It has lots of conversational and message handling capabilities. In fact at first glance it seems to me to be very/overly complicated, not at all like the simplicity of WSJT-X and FT8.

Last Saturday they had a JS8 QSO Party. I couldn't find anyone to work. The heartbeat function tells me my setup is working on both RX and TX and that people hear me, but apparently they were busy somewhere else. So I gave up. Went back to CW and FT8.

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep an eye on the PSK31 watering holes there is usually activity on the weekends, also a lot on field day. I'm using fldigi and it seems to work well plus has all the other crazy modes. The WSJT-X and JS8CALL each require their own software packages.

6. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I find activity on 20m, 14.070.

K6GB likes this.
  7. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

After a few hour of dealing with this its back to SSB/CW for me. I figured it would be over my head. I do not have the patient to spend fiddling with software and the like trying to persuade it into working. $200 lesson I already knew. Ill be listing a new Yaesu SCU-17 and cable SCU 21. 73 Rich

8. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. PSK-31 is not very robust, and a lot is missed during decode if the is any band noise, signal fluctuation etc. What really killed if for me was the Macro situation which caught on at the very beginning and never let up. What a boring waste of time. These are two reasons it is not very popular today. The other reason is the gain in popularity of other digital modes.

9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Well it sure aint CW from what little I seen. RAC