ad: wmr-1

If you run WSJT-X and have FT897 only please.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC2DAQ, Oct 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC2DAQ

KC2DAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Desperately trying to figure out how to get my computer to talk to my FT897 using WSJT-X. If you have an FT897 please tell me how you have it set up to your computer for FT8.
    Jeff, KC2DAQ

2. WJ4VA

WJ4VA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you mean "talk to my FT897?" Do you mean getting tx/rx audio to and from the computer/wsjt-x or do you mean wsjtx-x controlling the radio (frequency)?

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

A little more detail would help. Are you going direct from the computer to the rig? Are you using an interface like the SignaLink?

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

How are you trying to do it? over CAT or Mic socket, Signalink, soundcard? More details might be helpful here, at the moment all we have is how long is a piece of string? Answer = 42.

K3XR likes this.
  5. KC2DAQ

Well I started out going directly to FT897 with data cable. I did get it to work a few times with very sporadic results. Program will not decode reliably. I bought a CAT cable and have had no success with that either. Another ham suggested impedence mismatche could be to blame and to put an interface in line, so I hooked up my Rigblaster Pro, but have not been able to solve the problem.

6. KC2DAQ

I tried both ways.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you going into the "data" jack on the back of the rig?

8. WJ4VA

What do you mean both ways? Are you using a signalink, built in computer sound card, what? CAT cable will only control the frequency of the rig and key it, it won't get audio to/from the radio to the computer, that's where the data cable or mic jack comes in...

9. WJ4VA

Another question, how are you controlling the accuracy of the computer clock? Just realized you said you weren't getting reliable decodes....if your clock is off more than about 1 second you won't get very many decodes....you can check how far off your time is by going to www.time.is

10. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you be more specific about what you are doing. Lots of details here. What cat cable? Does the software key the radio? What sound card are you using? Are you using the data port for audio in and out? Are you using the Mic socket for audio in and out? Have you checked that the computer is using the correct sound card?

Doing digital on an FT897 is a PITA on a good day and part of the reason why I got rid of mine. But without real specific details everyone is flying blind and unable to help you pinpoint the problem.

Program will not decode reliably

Have you synced your computer time? If you are off time by about 1 second, things wont work well.

Is the sound input data level set to about 60% in WSJT and not higher than 80%? Like this:

ftmate.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020