ad: elecraft

If you have to paint your antenna pole which colour to use?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0PUD, Jun 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5UMH

KG5UMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Where I live the City Ordinance requires that towers less than 200 feet be painted light blue or stay galvanize gray so that they will blend in with the sky.

G0PUD likes this.
  2. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Paint it in multi-colored Spirals in the manner of a Barber Pole. Use Maroon, UE Red, Rosso Corsa, Vivid Yellow, Tangerine, and Persimmon. (The colors ...or would that be Colours... of Manchester United F.C.)

If the neighbors question your palette, say it's a "Team Spirit Pole". :D

To add a little spice to the paint-job, interlace the colors with a silver Scotch-Lite reflective paint pinstripe. It ought to be really pretty during thunderstorms or when lit by a xenon strobe light.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    KQ9J and G0PUD like this.
  3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

If the neighbour has a xenon strobe light she has no right to complain about the colour of a pole!;)

G0PUD and KC8VWM like this.
  4. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends. What is the backdrop?

5. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is flat green... Krylon or Rustoleum camouflage variety I believe. From the street there are trees behind... almost unseen.

6. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Bright RED, after all when people get a bit advanced in years its being able to Whinge and moan that keeps them going...
    Just look around the Zed for confirmation of that.

W5TTW and WZ7U like this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm limited by my HOA. They dictate the fence, house, and trim paint. They were even considering that our garbage cans all be the same color...owner uproar canned that idea.
    If we had a majority of ham radio operators we could probably erect a pole.
    My stealth wire uses black insulation and is almost invisible.
    I would think black would work on a slim pole.
    If the structure gets too large...like a lattice tower, a lighter shade of gray would probably work. Most short towers I've seen are gray.

Since I am not allowed any type of structure...I guess I can paint it any color I like.
    I do have 7 foot bird feeder stanchions. They only come in one color...black and are quite undetectable.

8. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I suggest flat or satin gray, or grey if you prefer. :)

I do not suggest gloss any color.

I got into the Amateur Hobby as a side effect of trying to keep my Neighbor Lady happy.

She called to say my CB radio was overpowering her transistor radio, trying to listen to Christmas Music.

I went online and found many useful hints on how to limit My causing RFI.
    To make a long story short, I applied the advice from the Amateur Radio community and mentioned this to a Ham,
    he said if you did all that to keep your neighbor happy, you should get your Amateur Radio License. :)

WZ7U, N0TZU and G8ADD like this.
  9. G0PUD

G0PUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just sky which here in England is usually grey!

10. W5TTW

W5TTW Ham Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell her you'll take the whole thing down and take-up a new hobby. Bagpipes.