If you have to paint your antenna pole which colour to use?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0PUD, Jun 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Ever wonder what the satellite TV industry and the military have in common?

They both use equipment that's not easily visible to detect against the sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    K2HAT and G0PUD like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Florescent orange or green. For safety's sake, donchaknow... :D

G0PUD likes this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there’s always Day-Glow Orange, Bright Pink, and Floursecent Green...

...colors NOT to use...

Seriously, a lot depends on where the pole is situated. You don’t want to pick a color that would be a major contrast with the background. A neutral outdoor color, like a shade of grey, might work best. If the pole has some landscaping (ie trees and shrubs) in the immediate vicinity, a shade of light or dark green might work as well.

And if it’s up against the house, or very close to the house, what color is the house? (If it’s a brick or stone house, what color are the shutters or downspouts or trim work?

The more important thing is, though, will this REALLY please the neighbors? In other words, are you simply being proactive, or do you have a situation to deal with? If it’s a situation, depending on the neighbors, it may not matter what you do — if their real objective is the removal of the pole and what’s on it, this may just be a convenient excuse.

G0PUD likes this.
  4. G0PUD

G0PUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheers all.. the neighbour is a lonely old woman who freaked out when she saw my g5rv's central mounting pole.. its background is mainly against the sky as we are in a bungalow. the pole does look tatty due to a few marks and scrapes on its side ...

I think ill go with shiny grey...and hopefully this will appease her. I'm also making it drop or raise with a pulley system so most of the time she wont have it in her skyline. Yes, a lot of trouble but I'm trying to keep her sweet or otherwise she will report me to the authorites...That would be a waste of time on her part as I'm 'legal'
    but i dont want to upset the old girl...
    thanks guys

K0IDT, KU4X and KP4SX like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Let her know you are doing it especially for her. And take her some flowers every now and then.

KU4X and WE4E like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good choice. However, I would use flat paint. In the sun there will be a glint of light from glossy or shiny paint which will attract the eye.

K2HAT, KB4QAA, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing at all wrong with being proactive and trying to solve a minor issue before it becomes a major one!

Under these circumstances, I’d suggest a flat paint as close to Battleship Gray as you can find. That will really blend into the sky in the background.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on your surroundings for me it would be camo but pleasing the neighbors is not much of an issue we are spread out such that it would not be a problem.

9. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

And help her get a ham license. :D

10. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I would drop her the following note:

Dear Mrs. Derbyshire,

Thank you so much for inquiring about my antenna mast.

By the authority of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and duly enacted laws of Parliament, I am licensed to operate a radio station which, if necessary, will serve as a critical hub of emergency communications during times of crisis.

As my dear neighbor, you would be among the first to benefit from this fortunate situation. I am truly gratified that I will be here to assist you should difficult times arise, heaven forbid.

I hope you might soon be available for tea and perhaps a short tour of my radio station. You might be interested in several dramatic stories in which radio installations such as mine were employed to preserve life and property throughout the Realm.

Very truly yours,
    etc. etc.

WS4JM, G0PUD, KA0USE and 4 others like this.