ad: ProAudio-1

If you have FT897 and have had difficulty operating digital modes please share.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC2DAQ, Oct 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2DAQ

KC2DAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 897 owner here. I have had my struggles operating digital modes with my FT897. Others have said the same. If you have had problems operating digital modes with the FT897, please share your story here. I really want to hear it. Thank you.
    Jeff, KC2DAQ

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why you need another thread on this topic. The correct question is how to connect a soundcard interface to the rig. I don't have an 897 so cannot offer any direct advice on that.

3. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used an FT-897D for the last 14 years or so.
    I run the digital modes ALL the time and have had absolutely
    NO problems using them.
    My interface is SIMPLE.

I use an old computer KEYBOARD cable with a DIN connector on the end.
    The DIN is plugged into the DATA jack on the back panel.
    The other end is split out to individual MINI plugs and are plugged
    into the mic & speaker I/O on the front panel of my PC.

Works just fine.

I use MMTTY, FL Digi, WSJT-X, with ZERO problems.

FT-897D is set to "DIGI" mode and you have to set DIGI VOX, Level etc.

I don't see where you might have a problem.
    Mine works like a champ.

bill

4. KC2DAQ

KC2DAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your post Bill. I have pretty much the same setup. I was oprating psk31 using Digipan with no problems using a cable plugged into the Data port behing the 897. The other end consisted of 2 eighth in plugs, one in the mic jack and one in the speaker jack of my computer, which is really a netbook type of thing. When I use WSJT-X with the same setup, it works occassionally, when it feels like it. I have been trying to figure this out for a month now.

5. KB3LIX

OK...If the interface works for DigoPan, but not for WSJT-X, sounds like the setup for
    WSJT needs some tweaking.
    One thing to look at, is the ALC indicating the same amount of level control
    on the different programs. Audio levels out of the PC can vary with the
    different programs. Make sure you are hitting the modulator with enough audio to
    get proper modulation.

You can use sub-menu item # 37 (DIG GAIN) to raise/lower audio levels to the modulator,
    and sub menu 40 (VOX GAIN) to make sure VOX level is high enough to consistantly key the radio.

Make sure sub menu # 39 (DIG SHIFT) is set to ZERO.

As dumb as this sounds, make sure the proper sound card is selected.
    SETTINGS > AUDIO TAB > (select sound card)

That's all I can think of off hand.

PLEASE.....
    DON'T TAKE OFFENSE if it SEEMS like I am TALKING DOWN TO YOU like you don't know anything,
    That is not my intention.

I am just trying to cover all the bases and I want to see you be successful in the DIGI modes.
    FT-4 & FT-8 are a hoot, and lots of DX is out there using those modes.

Good luck resolving the problem.

The FT-897D was simple to set up and (knock on wood) has been a great performer.

I am an avid contester especially on RTTY...The JARTS (Japanese Amateur Radio Teleprinters Society)
    RTTY contest is this weekend.

bill

6. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

On my 857d mine was a little more high tech than yours. I used the tail from a ps/2 rodent and 2 audio transformers. Also had a switch so I could change between the 1200 and 9600 audio lines from the radio. Using it to decode packet on 2m 1200 baud packet the tone imbalance was too much using the 1200 line so for that used the 9600 audio line instead. The only time I have had to use an audio path for 9600 baud packet so I could decode 1200 baud packet. After finding a bit of vero board to mount it all on was a fun little project.

7. KB3LIX

I have never messed with packet.
    Using 2 audio transformers in the tx & rx audio can't hurt, providing a bit of isolation
    between the 2 devices. I LUCKED out and did not need the isolation.

8. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The high tone was about 10dB lower than the low tone. It was frustrating until I looked at the recovered audio and saw the problem. Did not help audio from a uniden scanner and from a uv5r both gave more reliable recodes than audio from the 857d. Using the 9600 line to bypass deempahasis that problem went away. Using a ssb based digital mode it was never a problem. Only when using fm for packet.

When it came to transmit I liked the isolation. With a direct connection I had hum on tx with the set up at the time.