ad: dxeng

If you don't want your identity stolen

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC9UDX, Jun 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please make sure you have an email address listed on your QRZ page.

If you don't want anyone to know your email address, or you don't have one, list a bogus one.

A very popular scam lately is for someone to pose as you, get an email address with your name or callsign, and "sell" amateur radio gear.

If you do have an email address listed, someone being scammed will likely look up your QRZ page, see that your email address does not match the scammer's, and not fall for the scam.

If you do not have an email address listed, that's one way the scammer looks legitimate. When the scammer is successful, your reputation could be tarnished.

There is no way QRZ, or anyone else, can prevent a scammer from impersonating you. Except for you, yourself.

WX5JHM likes this.
  2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To that I would add that everybody MUST use a STRONG password. A strong password is a LONG one. Long phrases like "MaryLikesBeansAndCabbage" is much more secure than a shorter one like "XY123#$Bill". Read the reason for this at:

https://xkcd.com/936/

W4RAV, W4PG, KB0HVB and 2 others like this.
  3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the problems with passwords is that each password must conform to the application's or account's specific requirements -- letters, capital letters, numbers, and symbols. Many websites have moved to 16 position passwords. One website allows for the ultimate password, 128 positions using 52 characters, 10 numbers, and 10 symbols. It would be good if you had a phrase sentence you could remember and correctly enter each time.

Here are the top ten passwords recently found in leaked data pubically distrubuted online.

(1) 123456 (2) 123456789 (3) password (4) 101 (5) 12345678 (6) 12345 (7) Password1 (8) qwerty (9) 1234 (10) 1111

Interesting: (1) ilove you & (57) trustno1

About 50 percent of the leaked passwords included an email attached to the account.

Use a different password for each application or account!

VE3OIJ likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have an identity to start with.

N6QIC likes this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The issue I have with the increased password requirements on especially banking websites lately, is that my security decreases when I am required to "write down" all my passwords and secret question answers and carry them round wherever I need them. (That includes online password databanks.)

W5WAY likes this.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Stating the obvious?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do. My password is Garlic!

I did notice recently that QRZ keeps you logged in even if the "Keep Me Logged in" box is not checked.

I have to manually logout. It was not that way before.

Now you get redirected to a different login page, That page makes you always stay logged in.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking for my ID when I was young , happy with what I found - sometimes it rubs others the wrong way .
    Now being older , I might trade for another - depending ;)
    I might arm wrestle Tom for his ?

9. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What could possibly go wrong?

[​IMG]

VK4KL, KM5BOR, KO6KL and 1 other person like this.
  10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That and systems / company policies that force a password change every 30 days. (Can't reuse old ones, new each time.) They are actually forcing you to write them down.

NX6ED, W5WAY and KC9UDX like this.