ad: ProAudio-1

If you could have just one band...

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB8FGC, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I was thinking here. You can have the most expensive, prestigious radio, then hamstring it with a lousy antenna and you'll have an equally lousy signal. Since the poster is only interested in 2 bands, I, too, would choose the bugcatcher-style antenna, OR a small screwdriver.

AE1N likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FB_IMG_1549394575655.jpg

CW, of course.

N1VAU, WA7PRC, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  3. AD7DB

AD7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Multiband HF radios don't really cost much more than 1-2 band radios. The IC-706 series, though discontinued, remain popular, as do its successors such as the IC-7000, IC-7100.
    For band choice right now I'd say go with 40m. But, 20m will come back eventually, and during good years (starting maybe 3 years from now) it'll be open from morning until way into the evening, for domestic and DX work. I've had good luck with hamsticks, and screwdriver antennas are also very good (and of course, multi band) when well-installed.

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a mid 90's vintage IC 706. Given that we are at solar minimum, my answer would be 40 meters but in a few years 20 will also be a good choice.

Why limit yourself with just one band choice? Plan for the future.
    John
    K4AGO

5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred Waring was good, but give me The Firehouse Five Plus Two.

6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MyBand = Concat(all_bands);

7. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

10 mtr. It can be lonely but when it opens, wow. For me after so many years it is still my fav band. Also because of the so called export radios, easy and simpel technology. My fav TRX btw is the MFJ 9410x, has very good RX.

Used to have Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu and even Hilberling. I made choices and i am happy with it. The results are good for me when mobile at the coast. 10 mtr, i live there and i can fix my own stuff.

8. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

11 meters.

KN4GEX likes this.
  9. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep a Hustler antenna and an Icom 706mk2 in the truck with a 20m resonator on it. I have a switch and a 102" steel whip on the other side for 10m, and a mag mount for 2m. I really enjoy the daylight DX on 20m while driving to and from work.

PD0JBV likes this.
  10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That changes from time to time for me....but based on the past few days, it would definitely have to be 40 meters