ad: Prosistel-1

If the 1500w limit was removed tomorrow

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

100 watts or less works for me

2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't hear him, it doesn't matter whether you have one watt, or a gazilion watts. SO WHAT if he can hear you above any or all the others? If you can't hear him/her, by transmitting at high power, you are just creating unnecessary and intentional QRM. And THAT, is against FCC rules.

5. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like being out to dinner, and while there are a lot of conversations going on, there's this one guy four tables away that just has to yell.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet that puppy is squeaky-clean when driven to legal-limit levels. ;)

Then again, I bet the idle bias supply alone is more than 1,500W. :eek:

7. DU7SJF

DU7SJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Right now, I do about 1KW PEP SSB max but the country I am in, Philippines, allows 2KW PEP SSB. The problem is that with 65% efficiency for class AB and probably 55% efficiency for the power supply that would preferably be linear, that brings me an input power requirement for the amp alone, in SSB service, of 1000W/(.55 * .65) = 2.7 KW. In the Phils where I live I have a standard 10KVA power transformer outside, going to my service, which also serves the homes of a few native Filipino neighbors who who use much less power than me. But, I have some air conditioners drawing about 2.5 KW, 2.0 KW and 1.0 KW so if I add them all up, I am already at 8.2 KW (of course assuming everything full on at the same time) leaving not much, 1.8 KW at worst case, for my native neighbors, plus anything else we run in the house (lot's of appliances, refrigerator, electric oven, washer, tv's etc. plus of course the radio that probably draws .4 KW or a little less when I transmit. This is all at a dollar equiv. of about $0.20 per KWh here, double the US average of $0.10 per KWh, my electric bill is quite high even when not running the radio and amplifier. I know, the amp draws power only when you are talking but those peaks really do a number on my KWh meter hihi. So, no, you would not see me even going to the 2KW limit here. But there were some hams in the US I knew of and heard, mostly on 75 meters and 20 meters a few years ago, who would have had no problem going to 5-10KW legally as I suspect they already did, illegally, maybe even having to use 3 phase 20 amp/phase power or special 60A 208V single phase branch circuits, and spending all of their earnings on their electric bills and radio/amp parts.

8. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Uhm seriously? really? Where did you get the idea in your head that I call people I cant hear, and am an intentional qrm'er?

If I cant hear him then I'm not going to be calling him... that's a matter of pride and ethical dxing. I have a tower and good antennas and hear better than most. I don't call CQ, and I NEVER call a station I cant hear.

I'd like an apology please.

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

20181125_171424.jpg

10. W1UO

W1UO Ham Member QRZ Page

QRO, Dr Pepper! eimac.jpg

WG8Z likes this.