If the 1500w limit was removed tomorrow

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

[​IMG]

That's freaking awesome! A masterpiece of engineering. :)

NL7W and KA4DPO like this.
  2. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

WHoa! That's crazy!!! Sounds like it could be dangerous! What type of temperatures and pressures do you see sodium liquify?
    Or is it a sodium solution? What is this load most commonly used for? Would this be a regularly used piece of equipment for industrial processes or is it a purpose built scientific instrument?
    Perhaps it is a top secret scientific tool used to tune some sort of direct energy ray beam weapon?! Somehow the massive power capability just screams nefarious destructive usefulness! Hi!!!
    I like the copper plumbing, it looks pretty cool too. The plumbing isnt what is carrying the sodium is it?

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know any hams who could afford the power bill.:D

KC8VWM likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a solution of Sodium and potassium, NaK, which is liquid @ room temperature.
    Yes, the copper plumbing carries the solution.
    If it were a pure Na solution, there would be an immediate explosion at the pressure gauge connection, which is wrapped with Teflon tape sealant.
    pure Na is highly reactive with many common elements/compounds.

The only pure Na coolants (to the best of my knowledge) that are currently bring used as coolants are in "fast"or "breeder"reactors.
    Due to its high boiling point, Na allows the reactor vessels operating pressures to be much lower than while using conventional coolants.

Na-23 has a low neutron absorption rate. when it does become radioactive, it forms Na-24 which has a short half life of 15 hours before it decays to harmless magnesium.

NL7W, N2EY and N1ART like this.
  5. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'd push it to, say, 20 watts.

N6PAT likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's like automobiles: If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. Most hams can't afford it, but some own a Rolls-Royce or Bentley without bothering to ask the price first.
    If they OWN (and use) a 500 kW transmitter, the cost of operation won't bother them.:rolleyes:

7. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many of today's HF amps are quite capable of producing a clean 2,000 to 2,500 Watts. That seems to be the new speed limit anyway...

8. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I would still only put out 300 watts

9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Alpha 8410 and the Ameritron AL-1500 come into mind.

10. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I would stick with what I usually run, 100W. When rare DX comes up, I seriously doubt any amps capable of running well over 1.5KW are not already doing so. Look on a scope some time.
    Going from 1K to 1.5K won't make that much difference on the other end, but it certainly would push some other peanut whistles out of the way for sure.....