If the 1500w limit was removed tomorrow

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

How long would you stay at 1500w output? And at what power level would you stop at?

Note: nobody gets a trophy for being a good-guy in this thread. Go ahead and be honest (and realistic: if you cant afford a megawatt dont say “a megawatt”).

In before a megawatt

W4RAV likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd be fine with 100w or less

Realistic and honest.

Dave
    W7UUU

G0IAX, KC1DQH, 2W0CYE and 25 others like this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Instead of RFOUT, the limit should be ERP. IMO, with an improvement in antennas, there would be less RFOUT and a lot fewer alligators.

A FM BC transmitter I worked on ran 16 kW RFOUT. ERP was 70kW(H) + 30 kW(V) = 100 kW. We had just a bit of omni gain in the antenna... several bays on the tower above the trees, on top of a mountain. It is heard in nearly all of Western WA. :)

W1TRY, KQ9J and KA4DPO like this.
  4. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm fine where I am making about a kw.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

If someone wants to gift me a Henry, I wouldn't complain.

6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm happy running the full QRP bucket.

G0IAX, N6ALT, KK4NSF and 1 other person like this.
  7. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the legal limit was lifted it'd be interesting to watch the sudden spike in RFI and just-plain-unexplainable topics here on the Zed...

KI7SNW, NN6B, KI4AX and 2 others like this.
  8. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Running 5 KW plate modulated AM phone on 160 meters on a cold winter night would be :cool:

W5ZAK, K6LPM, KM1H and 6 others like this.
  9. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, fair enough. If the limit was lifted: My opinion is that nothing would really change.

Why?

Well because high power is expensive and already available to those who want to do that. A short perusal of ham radio amps available will quickly show that amps in the 2.5 - 6 Kw range are out there right now if you have the funds. Most hams (and this is only my opinion) run 100 watts and those who have an amp probably 500 to 1000 watts out. Anything above 1kw gets very expensive for very little improvement in signal strength.

Hams who really understand this invest (ha!) in bigger antennas long before they up the power levels. This is the elephant in the room: real improvements are in the antenna and that happens to be much more expensive than big power.

So most of us limp along on relatively low power and what ever antenna we can erect given the usual urban restrictions.

The fellows who really crack me up are the ones who have a really crappy antenna and they dump a Kw into it hoping to be heard. I was listening on twenty meters last weekend to a fellow in California who was using one of the mobile whip antennas on a tripod in the back yard and a kw into it... Really proud of it too! All kind of Pix on his QRZ listing showing this miserable excuse for an antenna and the big station driving it.

Kind of like putting a big V8 motor into a Yugo.

"In MY opinion!" Which is worth exactly what you paid for it!

G0IAX, K8ATG, K6LPM and 9 others like this.
  10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I could put a 3KW LDMOS amp om the air in about a week )Including parts delivery. I took advantage of the sample price on the 1.8KW devices. 2 are already ready to go with some alteration & a beefier LPF setup.

Ed

K6LPM, K1TGX and NE1U like this.