If I knew then just SOME of what I know now......

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am reminded of the film "Mr. Destiny" with Jim Belushi.

He plays a 35 year old man in a small company town where sporting goods are made by the single big employer. He thinks his whole life turned on a single event: when, 20 years to the day earlier, he struck out in the last out of the last inning of the last game of the state HS championship baseball game.

He is shown what his life would have been if he'd hit that last pitch instead of striking out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Destiny

Great movie that never got its due, IMHO. Belongs in the same class with

- "It's A Wonderful Life" (George Bailey finds out what his town would have been if he'd never been born)
    - "Peggy Sue Got Married" (43 year old woman is transported 25 years back to senior year of high school)
    - "Groundhog Day" (man lives the same day over and over and over and OVER until he gets it right)

K1OIK likes this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

& now,... a musical interlude ;)

Toby Keith - "I Wish I Didn't Know Now..."

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO REGULAR PROGRAMMING :D

Steve / W5BIB

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That sounds very cool. Added to my Amazon Prime watch list, thanks!

N2EY likes this.
  4. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You would have made a different set of mistakes that would have taken you in a different direction...not necessarily a better direction or a better you.

5. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went out on a date with a girl who was a ham doctor's daughter (he suggested his daughter after a contact with him) . She was as cute as they come. I wish I had the self confidence to have asked her out again

6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe.

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you imagine how different your life would be today if you had married her?

For one thing, at the very least, you would not have the daughter you have today.

K1OIK likes this.
  8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Another good "What if?" movie: Mr. Nobody: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/?ref_=nv_sr_3 . It plays with your head a bit so you may have to watch it twice to get the most out of it.

For, I remember making stupid/big mistakes going back to when I was five years old so I'd restart from there...and that includes earning my ham radio license earlier. : )

K1OIK and WD4IGX like this.
  9. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Groundhog Day. I could watch it over and over and.........

K1OIK and N2EY like this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sorely tempted to say that if there is one mistake I could undo, it would be my first marriage. I pretty much knew about a week before that it was a mistake, but I had made the commitment and felt I had to go through with it.

If I had stayed with her, eventually, I would have a had a house full of antique furniture, not old radios.

But the thing is... if I hadn’t made that miserable mistake, I wouldn’t have gone back to school, gotten into a job at that school, gotten into another school, gotten an internship at a (then) major corporation, and from there a job in the IT department at the then largest hospital in the area. Which means that I wouldn’t have had my first week, when I was sent to fix a database issue for someone in finance. And that someone ended up being my new wife. And had that not happen, I would not now have Little Miss Field Day. Especially since the first one didn’t want children of any sort.

So if I had the chance to do over that disaster of a mistake... I’d pass. Not if it cost me my daughter.

W9FTV, N2EY, KA2CZU and 1 other person like this.