ad: w5yi

If I knew then just SOME of what I know now......

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed. Always learn from the mistakes of others. You'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

AC8UN and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Shoot, if you make the wrong mistake, you won't live long at all.

WU8Y and KK5JY like this.
  3. WD4IGX

For any other Star Trek fans, that reminds me a lot of the TNG episode Tapestry.

Captain Picard is dying, because he has an artificial heart that was damaged in an alien attack in a way that a natural heart would not have been. He has the heart because as a young Star Fleet Academy cadet he got in a fight with a 7' tall Nausicaan (rather bad ass as well as grouchy fight-prone aliens.) Q appears to him and Picard laments the youthful brashness that lead to that fight and says he would do a great many things differently, so Q gives him the chance to live his life over. He does, playing it safe with the wisdom and caution born of far more experience - and ends up at the same age as a Lieutenant in a non-command role and a complete Milquetoast. He pleads with Q to let him "undo the do over" as it were, which Q does - he goes back to the fight and laughs heartily as the Nausicaan stabs him through the heart. Of course Dr. Crusher then saves his life anyway. Talking it over with Riker later, as the article on Memory Alpha says, "Picard states that part of him can't believe that Q was willing to show compassion by giving him a second chance, but if it was Q then he is thankful for being allowed to see how important his decisions in life were – he's not proud of many things he did in his youth, but when he pulled on this "loose thread," the tapestry of his whole life came apart."

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Tapestry_(episode)

4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent pun. My compliments.

WU8Y and WD4IGX like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

but, BUT... it provably then would been able to do MORE than 82 MPH down hill with a tail wind!:rolleyes:

W3MMM likes this.
  6. WD4IGX

You say that, but flying isn't cheaper. Since I started flying ALL my other hobbies seem cheap, or at least a great deal more affordable.

N2EY likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean antennas are necessary? Maybe THAT is why my radios don't get out on HF!:oops:

W2AI likes this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great as long as the bad decisions you make in youth make your later life better. :cool:

9. WD4IGX

I can't think of a lot I would do that differently given the resources I had at the time. First thing I would have done - the only two new radios I could possibly afford when I got started were the Argonaut 509 and the Tempo One. Hamfests were a possibility but I didn't want to start out with something used that might need work I couldn't do. My friends were devoted solid state fanatics, the guy who was my Elmer had a 509 and the 405 amp, but I couldn't afford the 405, and they convinced me that tubes were complete junk other than as driver and finals, a PITA tuning those finals, and in any case that the Tempo One was a poorly made piece of crap, all of which I later learned were not exactly true or, more accurately, formed my own rather different opinions about. The Tempo wasn't an S Line by any stretch, but it would have served much better to start out with than the Argonaut which was hugely frustrating. Nice little radio, and I enjoy QRP NOW, but starting with it? Um - that was frustrating. I made a lot of CW contacts with little problem but on SSB it was a big challenge. OTOH I did really learn to love CW.

The other thing I would have done differently has nothing to do with "starting out" but came much later. I started in 1977, dropped ham radio some time in the 80s and got back some in the 90s. If I had it to do over I'd have never sold that really nice Drake C-line I had then. :(

10. WD4IGX

Well it's hard to know whether they were for better or worse, as long as they don't leave you with lasting injury or the like. But they do make you who you are - for better or worse.