If I knew then just SOME of what I know now......

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:00 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

OTOH.....

When "incentive licensing" came about in 1968, I'd been a ham about a year, and made getting the Extra a top priority for three reasons:

1) I wanted full privileges - particularly CW

2) Getting the license was cheaper than building a 25 kHz calibrator

3) I figured that "incentive licensing" was just the first step, and that FCC would make it even tougher to get an Extra in the future.

Well, two out of three isn't bad.

W0CVR and W2AI like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And that's exactly the problem. ;)

N2EY likes this.
  3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I knew back then how much I'd spend over the years just to say "599 TU" I'd probably have taken up a cheaper hobby, like flying or collecting Rolex's.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. And my regret isn't the money, it's the time that would have probably been better spent doing other things.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Trust me, flying is waaaay more expensive!

WD4IGX and N2EY like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I would've followed through on learning the code in 1979 when I first flirted with it, not 1995/6 when I actually carried through with it.

7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't have listened to N3TD in 1984 when he got into my VW Bug and urged me to "floor it" down an icy street that had a tree at the bottom of it.

W9FTV, KE5OFJ and KK5JY like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Reason 2 was my main reason too! :)

9. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Way back in 1958 when I started as a Novice at age 12 I didn't have a lot of options. I did have an Elmer who helped some but mowing lawns @ a quarter each didn't give me a whole lot to spend on gear even though I saved for months (and mowed a lot of lawns) to buy my first equipment--all used. I agree that the Heath AR-3 receiver wasn't great though things improved some when I added the QF-1 Q multiplier. I bought a few crystals from Texas Crystals for my DX-20 transmitter. I homebrewed a dipole which I was lucky enough to erect between our apartment building and the one next door. T/R switching was via a DOW relay which I found at a large military surplus place in Vernon, CA. I also found a J-38 straight key there.
    The surplus place was loaded with rows and rows of ARC gear but living in an apartment I didn't have a workshop nor at the time did I have the knowledge/skills needed to convert any of it for ham use. I did manage to save up money for a VTVM and a few other items of test equipment along with a good soldering pencil, soldering iron and some miscellaneous tools. Those came in handy when the dining room table later became a work bench where I constructed some newer, better Heath receivers and transmitters.

Not a lot of things I could/would do differently had I to do it over again except I would have tried to gain more technical knowledge at an earlier age. As it was most of the technical knowledge came much later, after college. Still have a long way to go in that regard but hey you learn something new every day--or should!

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...I'd have spent more time working on better antennas as opposed to trying to improve the electronics in the shack.

I did learn that lesson after some time, but didn't start out knowing it.