If a country changes its name what happens?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Same thing happened with Germany as did with the Netherland Antilles. (the Yes column is 'Deleted')

germany.jpg

It appears the differences are reorganization of the entity itself and/or government as opposed to just a name change.

W7UUU and DM2TT like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly.

WA1GXC and W5ESE like this.
  3. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it has to involve a territorial change; not just a reorganization of government.

I have a QSL from Rhodesia, but it's considered the same "DXCC entity" as Zimbabwe. The government changed, but the boundaries are the same as Rhodesia.

DM2TT, N4UFO and KP4SX like this.
  4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

An individual geographical location can not be two different DXCC entities at the same time. In the case of Swaziland and Eswatini, there is no deleted entity of Swaziland. Contacts with Swaziland before it was renamed the Kingdom of Eswatini all count for the Kingdom of Eswatini.

Usually a change of DXCC entity for a geographical location involves a change in governance that is widely accepted internationally. Examples would be the breakup of the former Czechoslovakia which counted as its own DXCC entity until Dec 31, 1992. After that it counted as either the Czech Republic or Slovak Republic.

The DXCC Entity deck has been reshuffled many times since I have been a ham. The German reunification moved the two former Germanies to the deleted list and created a single new entity. A handful of changes after the collapse of the Soviet Union, as well as changes in the former Netherlands Antilles.

Confirmed contacts with deleted entities still count for your DXCC totals But only current entities count for DXCC Honor Roll.

To know exactly what's what, go to the official list:

This link shows the current list of DXCC entities as well as deleted entities and the effective dates are in the footnotes.

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/2020 Current_Deleted.txt

Which brings up a good topic for another thread in this category. I'll look down the list and see if it already exists. If not I'll start it. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    WA1GXC, N2EY, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  5. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I could be wrong --I often am-- but I believe the key is the Deleted Countries (Entities) list.
    If the "old" name is on that list, and you worked/confirmed it, you have credit for the "old" name -- and the "new" name --that appears on the current list-- is considered a different country (entity) and you can claim credit for it as well.
    Otherwise ... it's just one country (entity).

That said, instead of depending on me --or anyone else who posts to this thread-- find out for sure by getting the answer from the DXCC Team at ARRL:
    hq@arrl.org
    1-860-594-0200
    M-F 8am-5pm Eastern Time

;)

WA1GXC, KP4SX and K0UO like this.
  6. N4UFO

Yes, anything in the deleted list, you get credit in the (ALL) total count. but not in the (Current) total count. (Only 'Current total' counts toward DXCC Challenge)

Put your cursor over the words 'Total All' and 'Total Current' on the LotW DXCC Awards page and you will see these boxes come up explaining it:

total.jpg current.jpg

And to show confirmation of what you said... yes, you can get credit for both the old entity and the new entity (in the All total):

After clicking 'View Credit Award Matrix' you can see the chart below. 'Yes' is in the 'Deleted' column.
    old and new.jpg

And I understand... I've been known to be wrong myself. Happened just the other day, else I'd be at 2000 DXCC Challenge, and not 1999. ;)

73, Kevin N4UFO

K8BZ, W7UUU and K0UO like this.
  7. KS2G

Yes, I'm well aware of that.
    But the OP didn't ask about those specifics.
    I wasn't "wrong" ... just didn't get into the minutia.
    I'm there myself with 5BDXCC that also requires all Current .... working towards finishing up 80-meters to complete 5BDXCC I have 78 total, but only 77 current.
    ;)

8. N4UFO

No, you were not wrong... I was addressing the 'could be wrong' comment and sympathizing as I often feel the same way.

Agreed, he didn't ask... I was simply confirming and agreeing with your statement above... before I went on to show the first picture so it would relate back.

And my reference to making a mistake on my DXCC challenge was simply admitting to making a mistake, not relevant to the deleted countries issue. When S9OK confirmed two QSOs for me, I thought they would both count, but only one did. My handy dandy 'need list' showed a band that thought I still needed, but apparently I had worked an S9 on that band back in 2014 and never crossed it off. - GL on the 5BDXCC... I remember I was so anxious to get number 100 confirmed I got a DXpedition QSL manager to do a special card for me and mail it head of the rest. :)

Wow, that got all confused... is mercury in retrograde or something? Perhaps I should have broke up the quote on the first go around, but was trying to keep it simple. Just another example of how the written language can be read different ways that intended. I had a Section Manager upset with me for 6 months once... at a face-to-face meeting, I finally asked him what he was upset about. Something from an e-mail. He got ONE WORD wrong in what he read and it changed the entire meaning. He smiled and apologized. Hopefully, it didn't take six months the next time. :D

73, sorry for the confusion

K8BZ and W7UUU like this.
  9. KS2G

Sorry that I misunderstood.
    Yes, keeping track can be challenging.
    After my post about the number I need to complete DXCC on 80, an e-mail I received unrelated to this from a club member caused me to see that I don't --as I had thought-- have KL7 confirmed on 80 on LoTW.
    However -- I received 5BWAS back in 1982 ...decades before LoTW... and I still have those cards.
    So turns out I have one more confirmed on 80 than I thought!
    ;)

10. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wondering which gonna be Nouvelle-Cal├ędonie's new name.
    FrenchGovSocTurds allowing an independence referendum each couple years or so, Kanakia Libre, or whatever, will win one of these days.

Oliver