If a country changes its name what happens?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, duh! Same with those other 62 entities!

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no “both”. It’s one country (of many) which changed its name. Nothing to add or delete from the DXCC list.

W5ESE and W7UUU like this.
  4. DM2TT

DM2TT Ham Member QRZ Page

They just changed name,nothing new.But the overseas territorys,thats different.They went indipendant and of course became new countrys.

5. KP4SX

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Look at all the Caribbean territories that have become independent. They didn't become new DXCC countries.

W5ESE likes this.
  6. DM2TT

PJ and stuff.Youre right i forgot that.

7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you made me go find my cards from 40 years ago. I do have a Y2 card from the early 80s. The deleted countries list puts it the same box as DM prefix. But, I see DM still exists. Will the real DM please stand up.
    Mike N3PM

K0UO likes this.
  8. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are talking about 2010 and the changeover within the Netherlands Antilles, those WERE deleted and re-established as new entities. I have a few QSOs with the deleted ones confirmed...

PJ2, PJ9 as the entity Bonaire-Curacao became the separate entities PJ2 Curacao and PJ4 Bonaire and then PJ7, PJ8 as the entity Sint Maarten, Saba, Saint Eustatius became the two entities of PJ5, PJ6 Saba & Saint Eustatius and PJ7 Sint Maarten. I remember it well because many foreign ops went there for the 10-10-2010 changeover... they operated in the days leading up giving out what would soon be deleted entities and then on the day and for a while after gave out the new entities to hams all over the world. It was a HUGELY active time and a whole lot of fun!

Neth Antilles.jpg

W5ESE, K0UO, DM2TT and 1 other person like this.
  9. KP4SX

PJ is a bit odd as is VP2E.
    Anguilla, St Kitts and Nevis comprised the colonial Federation that was VP2E. SK/N went independent as a pair and became V4 but Anguilla remained as a territory and remained VP2E.

Yes, DM was East Germany back in the day. When the new Germany absorbed the East they also got the callsigns including the Y#.

K0UO and DM2TT like this.
  10. DM2TT

Jepp,i worked all the PJ on 6m and then a lot on 2m eme in that time.It was great!

SX said it best:
    DM was GDR (east DL) before 1980,when they changed to Y2-Y8

With the reunited DL also these blocks went together.
    They even have the Y but dont put that out.
    BUT:
    For 20years we can change calls.Of course in the correct licence class,lol

I was 27years DJ2TX.Full morse code test and all.
    But i hated that call in CW from the beginning.So 2 years ago i wrote a letter explaining just that.
    Looked all available calls over,online.Until i found what looks like the shortest CW call you can have here :)
    2 weeks later i had the new licence in the mail.And that in Germany,wow!

Actually the GDR never gave DM calls with 2 suffix out,only 3 like DM2BLE (he was a real one)
    Then,like in the west,the letter behind the number was the call area.Over here for example a DL3BG would from Bremen DL9MHG from Munich etc..
    But heres the hit:
    The east as so small,they never had a area "T".

So my call was never ever given out.Be it pre 1980 east or west after 1990.

vy 73 de olli dm2tt

KP4SX likes this.