If a country changes its name what happens?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Curious - if you had worked a station in Swaziland with the prefix 3DA0 a decade ago, but now the county is called Kingdom of Eswatini, does that mean you have BOTH Swaziland AND Kingdom of Eswatini in your log? Or would you have to work Kingdom of Eswatini as well, even though the prefix is the same, in order to claim both?

Asking for a friend. No, I really am, actually!!

Dave
    W7UUU

PU2OZT and N4FZ like this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Same country, no difference, e.g., Burma -Myanmar

WG7X, K8PG, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

Dave
    W7UUU

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I went from British Honduras to Belize and there was quite a pile up in the first couple years in the 1980s looking for V31's

V31KW old VP1KW

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    N4FZ likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I scratch my head long enough I'm sure I can come up with some exceptions. Eastern Europe has some candidates.

K0UO and N4FZ like this.
  6. K0UO

Normally both will count as a country/ that's why some of us Old-Timers have so many countries/ because they changed names and territories and call signs.

7. W7UUU

Wait - so my friend would have BOTH Swaziland AND Kingdom of Eswatini? I.e., two DX entities?

That doesn't sound like what's posted above.

Can you clarify?

Dave
    W7UUU

8. K0UO

I know when I was operating in British Honduras and it changed to Belize many people worked me the second time for a second country/ of course British Honduras no longer existed. The new country was V31.
    I probably have at least 70 countries like that I worked over the years.

9. KP4SX

In that case I don't think so.
    https://clublog.org/dxcc_analysis.php?dxcc=468

K8PG likes this.
  10. KP4SX

Are you sure about that? British Honduras isn't on the deleted country list. (only 62 at the time)
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/2019_DXCC_Deleted_June.pdf

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021