ad: expert-3

Identifying a kit

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AE5OV, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AE5OV

AE5OV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I was cleaning out the shack today and I found an old kit without instructions. It looks like most of the parts are there, so I would like to build it.
    The board is marked 9/94 on the component side. On the solder side it is marked "Copyright 1991 WA3FIY, Lee Richey, 90-35 REV 1." It has an L shaped aluminum enclosure, a single jack, and a 9v battery cradle. The crystal is 3.579. The enclosure has two holes; one for the jack, and one for a potentiometer.

Any ideas where I could get instructions for this thing?

Thanks,
    David

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The CycleMaster” by Lee Richey, WA3FIY, QST, September 1997, p 37

6BM8 Transmitter
    by Lee Richey, WA3FIY (Franklin, PA)
    A4DCF96A-A340-4C88-851D-37BCADCD75D0.jpeg A602F5F8-C0B7-47DE-8F23-04E5D123D4E6.jpeg

3. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AE5OV

Thanks for the replies. This isn't a tube kit. Lemme figure out how to post pictures, and I'll get some up.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The crystal frequency (3.579(545) MHz) is that of a TV "Color Burst" reference , so that definitely leaves out a (ham) transmitter of any kind, but is often used with the MM5369N, which is a dedicated divider (IC) chip to give very, very, VERY close to 60 Hz output. There is usually a small variable cap to "pull" the crystal to provide exactly 60 Hz output for a DC powered time base.output.
    Does your "kit" have provision for an 8 Pin DIP integrated circuit (the MM5369N?) The kit you have might be a time base. Obviously, a picture would (so to speak) be worth a thousand words, so please try to post when you can.

6. AE5OV

I found the article about this radio.
    It is an 80m W1AW receiver.
    QST Feb 1993.

Edited to add Radio Adventures used to sell a kit as well.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    N2UHC likes this.
  7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to post pictures, you can upload them to your post by clicking on the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button. But I'm glad we figured out what the kit is, sounds like a neat project. Now your task is to put it together and then show pictures of the finished project here.