Identifying a kit

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AE5OV, Sep 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AE5OV

AE5OV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I was cleaning out the shack today and I found an old kit without instructions. It looks like most of the parts are there, so I would like to build it.
    The board is marked 9/94 on the component side. On the solder side it is marked "Copyright 1991 WA3FIY, Lee Richey, 90-35 REV 1." It has an L shaped aluminum enclosure, a single jack, and a 9v battery cradle. The crystal is 3.579. The enclosure has two holes; one for the jack, and one for a potentiometer.

Any ideas where I could get instructions for this thing?

Thanks,
    David

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The CycleMaster” by Lee Richey, WA3FIY, QST, September 1997, p 37

6BM8 Transmitter
    by Lee Richey, WA3FIY (Franklin, PA)
    A4DCF96A-A340-4C88-851D-37BCADCD75D0.jpeg A602F5F8-C0B7-47DE-8F23-04E5D123D4E6.jpeg

3. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AE5OV

AE5OV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies. This isn't a tube kit. Lemme figure out how to post pictures, and I'll get some up.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The crystal frequency (3.579(545) MHz) is that of a TV "Color Burst" reference , so that definitely leaves out a (ham) transmitter of any kind, but is often used with the MM5369N, which is a dedicated divider (IC) chip to give very, very, VERY close to 60 Hz output. There is usually a small variable cap to "pull" the crystal to provide exactly 60 Hz output for a DC powered time base.output.
    Does your "kit" have provision for an 8 Pin DIP integrated circuit (the MM5369N?) The kit you have might be a time base. Obviously, a picture would (so to speak) be worth a thousand words, so please try to post when you can.