Identify Odd Freq. Crystal module device

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W2HER, Jan 16, 2020.

?

Ever seen this part?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: l-rl
  1. W2HER

W2HER Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone Identify an Odd Freq. and shape Possible Crystal module device with 6 contact blades, part #666231-051 Marked Channel 6, 5-6 MC. Found in a batch of old crystals.

Attached Files:

2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I've certainly not seen one of those before. I'd say it is sometime from the 1940s, 1950s, or very early 1960s.

I'd have to believe the device is from an English speaking nation because of the markings.

The light green moulded material was in pretty wide usage by connector companies from at least the 1950s to the the early 1980s.

The connector blades were relatively common from the 1940s into the 1960s.

By the mid-1960s the western world adopted Hz in lieu of CPS (MC vs. MHz).

The 5-6 MHz range was designated for aeronautical use during at least the late 1940s to the 1960s. Although, the military could operate in that range without special assignments.

So, I'm guessing it is from a 1950s piece of US aeronautical equipment, or less possibly from a piece of military equipment.

I'll be interested to find out what is is actually from.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  3. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on N3PMs link, I'm guessing it's NSN (national stock number) is 5950-00-724-2330. It will probably take somebody who either worked at the manufacturer or was an avionics technician who recognizes it from a piece of equipment.

But that item says it has 4 blades, not 6 blades as shown in the photo.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe it's a thingy.