Identification of Connector

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VK2TIL, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:12 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is used on the coils for a 1960s Tech TE-15 "Tradiper";

[​IMG]

Coil diameter is about 17mm; pin length is about 10mm; the four pins form an inverted "Y" in the photo.

I think I've seen similar plugs in old radios; as dry battery connectors and as electro-dynamic speaker connectors.

As I remember, they were simple discs of phenolic with pins rivetted-in.

They are not DIN or XLR4.

Like many/most dippers, these had the coils in a plastic/Coolite tray which is no longer present; I'd like half-a-dozen sockets to make a storage rack as I did with my home-made GDO years ago.

I'm not sure that they do have a formal name; if they do, I don't know it (yet).

2. G6YYN

G6YYN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a Yorkshire man with a reputation of being “careful with money” I would just drill six holes in a piece of some material I had left over from another project and make a stand out of that.
    It can be as plain or fancy as the time you want to spend on, as can the choice of material.

3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those plugs/sockets were made by Amphenol decades ago and were used
    as internal connectors in "budget" radio sets.

It is extremely unlikely to find any today.

The reason I know is that such a connector once was used as the microphone socket in a modified Heathkit rig, and by pure chance, a mating plug showed up at one end of a coiled-up cable at the bottom of a "surprise box" at a hamfest...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

4. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

'YNN; thanks, I'm aware of the options. I have a machine shop and an obsession with perfection and I'm sure that I can "cobble-up" something.

Karl-Arne; I thought that would be the case. With two VNAs and a host of other testgear, I won't be using the Tradiper, I just want it to look its best in my little "museum" of nice & interesting objects.

Thanks to you both.