Ideas sought for flush to the roof hidden dipole for 160/80M

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WB4JHS, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys...I live in the typical single story ranch home here in Fla and want to get on 80 & 160M with my tuner MFJ 969. I had 180 feet of 18 guage copper and made the simple dipole and ran it like a letter U and then some. Loads on 160,10,15,20M but not 75M. In that this is just a hobby on a budget and I don't want to get into anything advanced like antenna analyzers etc...any advice how to get it to work on 75M? I can lengthen or shorten the wires to the half wave formula but I wonder if that is not applicable for a flush to asphalt shingles and the close proximaty to metal roof soffit and facia etc. Just looking for a few tips before I just trial and error on the roof. Maybe send me an email to jmahagan@bellsouth.net Best 73s. John WB4JHS :eek:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

You might try adding enough wire to make a full loop around the perimeter. Hard to say exactly what would happen but it would probably allow you to tune on 80M and above, and probably also eliminate some local noise. Might have to open the loop at the far end to get it to work on 160. It won't be gangbusters on 160 either way being so close to the ground but you probably already know that.

3. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 80 meter horizontal loop was a roof-hugger, with wire running just one inch off the concrete roof tiles. An earlier 80 meter dipole, similarly ran about an inch off the roof ridge. Proximity to the roof resulted in resonance well below the intended frequency for each antenna. Although I fooled around a while with tuning/pruning, resonance was actually unimportant since I used balanced line to feed each antenna, with a remote tuner (LDG RT-11) very close to the feed point.

Perspective: Each antenna on my roof allowed random 80-10 meter contacts, mostly using cw & digimodes. A few dozen DX contacts, including CA to Australia, were made. I also completed WAS from this QTH. All of this took over 15 years.

Downside: I got QSL's from the XYL for working all domestic electronic devices, including the kitchen stove. Some of this RFI was cured with ferrite beads. Other RFI was resolved by self-imposed quiet times. I had two visits from deputies when my 30 meter signals triggered a silent panic alarm from my home security system; they were only amused during the first visit.

In short, roof-huggers can be enjoyable, challenging, and ensure your life will not be dull. 73

Gary, K9ZMD/6

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story above

THere is always truth in humor! Great story...I'll look forward to activating some neighbor's pacemaker?! Gracias! John the experimentor.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.