Ideas for stickies in the forum

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AI3V, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

So thats where the mods hang out at.....

I know, corney .

2. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree frank. I think that we want to encourage beginners but the majority of homebrew topics are not created by, or targeted towards, beginners. The ones that are and do involve genuine interest quite often indicate that the beginner is quite able to find such simple things on his or her own.

I've discussed stickies briefly with the other mods/staff and the consensus is that we should keep them to a minimum. In practical terms that means that anything that is proposed as a sticky should have a demonstrated need by repeated postings in the forum and a consensus of forum users agreeing that the subject in question should be a sticky.

I see the potential for two distinct sticky threads and I'd like to hear feedback on these ideas.

1) An FAQ/Resources sticky. This sticky will include, for example, all of the links that people have dug up so far on parts sources as well as pointers to the other various online resources such as books/learning materials/software etc. There should be more detail than just links, that is, each source should have a sentence or so describing what the link is particularly good for. For example, kits and parts is a good place for toroids, RF parts is for high power transistors/tubes, etc. The first post in the thread will be edited by mods to keep the list up to date. This, of course, relies on the members to post additional messages in the thread to keep everyone abreast of changing websites etc.

I expect that the first post would grow over time to be useful but it will always be subject to editing to keep it that way.

2) The parts exchange. This is a good idea and I'd like to see it formalized ever so slightly. This is quite distinct from the FAQ sticky in that it's an ongoing list of available and requested parts. This also requires maintenance to be useful, however, and so there would be a responsibility to keep old posts cleaned out when the request was met or the availability changed. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is but something like having members simply edit their posts to a single "delete me please" statement at conclusion? In my opinion, this definitely needs more support from members before it should be elevated to a sticky. So, if you like the idea it's probably important to demonstrate that by posting requests availability in the existing non-sticky thread. Attaching pictures of parts you have to exchange would be great. As stated in the existing thread, this idea is for ham to ham exchanges, not a place for commercial advertisement.

Daryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.