Ideas for getting feed line into house

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ7VAB, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KJ7VAB

KJ7VAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even sure what the correct terminology is, but I'm thinking about a "patch panel" for a couple feed lines, so I can disconnect the feed line from the outside and inside of the exterior wall.

Would you just use a short coax? make a self contained box with 2 female chassis connectors? Avoid metal? Ground the box? L-Connector pointing down?
    I think I'd rather not cut a huge rectangle to fit a box all the way through the wall.

TIA

T

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a number of threads on this topic, so use the search function and you’ll see a lot of suggestions. They range from drilling a small hole or two the diameter of the coax, as is done for cable TV installs, to purpose made utility boxes and a large diameter conduit in the wall for numerous cables.

AK5B likes this.
  3. KJ7VAB

I did several searches. Couldn't find anything specific. Perhaps because I'm sure what terms to use to get the results I'm after at the top of the list.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to the advanced search (“More” in the search widget) and fill it in like this. Also try feed line and feedline.

F8430F06-63DB-42AC-8D9E-CE5EE2ED697B.jpeg

5. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like a lot of people, I didn't want to cut holes in a perfectly good wall. I have a typical angled steel cellar door bulkhead. I drilled holes through the side of that, and used "double sided female" UHF bulkhead connectors. The connectors are also through a copper plate which goes to a ground rod, and lightning arresters, and yes, a ground wire goes around the house to bond to my utility entrance. Then, inside the cellar way it feeds to my shack. Note: the steel bulkhead was a harder steel than I expected.

AK5B, KJ7VAB and WN1MB like this.
  6. KJ7VAB

I'm leaning towards these now. thx!

7. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Plexiglass, Copper Plate, Aluminum plate, Air Conditioner panel, many options and you can close the window on it.

No holes, no damage and can be simply removed if necessary.

MFJ sells similar to these but homemade is cheaper.

101_7863.JPG

MVC-888L.JPG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    K0UO and KI4ZUQ like this.
  8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A better or current picture of my panel.

100_8023.JPG

K0UO and KJ7VAB like this.
  9. K4PP

K4PP Ham Member QRZ Page

One other possible option, Blue Sea cable clams. It’s possible to size hole to pull a cable and connector through. Not the best way but is an option.

K4PP

10. KJ7VAB

That's a new one for me. I'll look into it.

Thx